Topic

I need tips for sewing webbing!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear I need tips for sewing webbing!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for all the help so far, I feel like I'm learning a lot.

One point of confusion for me still is how to properly pair needle size with thread size. A few of you have suggested using a "denim" specific needle, which I take is in the 90/14 or 100/16 size range. Meanwhile, others have suggested using a lighter weight thread for ease of sewing…

But now I read online that pairing the size of needle with the size of thread is very important for getting a nice end result and smooth sewing. This implies that the heavier "denim" needles will require heavier thread, and the lighter needles will need lighter thread.

Which one should I go with? Also, should I be using sharp needles or more rounded needles?

I'll be sewing through 210 denier double ripstop nylon (pack body), nylon webbing, and maybe a little bit of 600 denier polyester (pack bottom), though not necessarily all of those things together at once.

Thanks again for all your help!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Which one should I go with?"

There is no one perfect needle size for everything. Be prepared to have a small, medium, and large one available to swap in instantly whenever your sewing changes.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> heavier "denim" needles will require heavier thread, and lighter needles will need lighter thread.
    Correct. That's part of the reason for having different sized needles.
    You don't use light thread on heavy fabric or webbing of course.

Cheers

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Could one of you make the distinction for me of what light, medium, and heavy thread is defined by in terms of something like tex number (or some other thread metric)? This is all getting a little relativistic and I'd like to bring it back to real world numbers if at all possible. Thanks!

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

Denim needles are not a size; it's a needle construction method. The blade of the needle (the part above the eye) is thicker, which makes needle a bit stiffer, and less likely to deflect. they're hard to find in small sizes, but Schmetz do make them in sizes down to 70/10. The other style of needle that's very useful for gear making is a 'sharp' or 'microtex', which have a sharply pointed point.

As for matching needle size to thread (or vice versa), I'd suggest starting with these recommendations: http://www.schmetzneedles.com/learning/needle-guide.htm

on a domestic machine you can almost always get away with using a size or two smaller than that chart suggests, because the speeds are so low.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

smaller needle makes smaller hole in fabric which weakens it less and allows less water through?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Derek,

Here is a good summary on thread size, needle selection, etc. for nylon thread. Should help answer some questions. It also has the same info under polyester thread and the others.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread

Ryan

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Derek,

I just found this thread and was wondering how long it would take you to get back to the comment about 'Denim Needles".

My first sewing machine was a sort of cheap Walmart Brothers. I used it for several packs and one day was pushing pulling the webbing through the needle and the machine stopped. I couldn't get it to run.

Brothers has a repair service at a local Sewing Center in my home town. I called and told them I broke my sewing machine. The lady asked me how and I explained. I told her I wanted to buy a new sewing machine. She said bring what you were sewing to the store. It was a short drive and about 15 minutes later I was showing her what I was sewing when I killed my sewing machine. She asked me if I had a "Denim Needle, I said I what. (Deer in the headlights moment). She looked at the webbing a had been sewing and walked to the needle section. Picked out a "Schmetz – Jeans/Denim 130/705 H-J pack of needles. Went over to the least expensive Brothers machine they sell, put in a needle and sewed through the several layers of webbing like it was nothing. I said I want to buy that machine. She had sent my broken machine to the back to be looked at. A man brought it back and said it was fixed. I had knocked something out of balance or something. She sat the machine next to the new one, exchanged needles and sewed the webbing with no problem.

I think the "Denim" needle is made stronger and thinner then a standard needle. I still bought the new sewing machine and now use both.

For light stuff such as Cuben or Pertex Quantum I use a Titanium coated needle size 90/14. The pack of needles I am looking at is the Organ Needles brand.

The nice thing about buying a new sewing machine from the Sewing Center was a group of free class that went with the purchase.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Derek,

This article really helped me:

Sewing 101

Daryl

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools