Topic

Footwear Dilemna – Boots or Shoes for Nepal

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I am struggling to find the right footwear for a nearing EBC trek in Nepal. I’m walking the typical route from Lukla (i.e. no peaks), and intend to do the return trek in 13-15 days. I would like to wear boots but the ones I have are giving me knee pain. I’ve never had any knee issues in the past, nor have I had any other joint or muscle problems from any sport.

I have hiked previously in trail runners, most recently in Salomon XA Comp 6. I’ve worn them on 4-5 day summer hikes (in NZ and Australia), carrying about 10kg, and also used them for Oxfam Trailwalker (100km in 30 hours) a couple of months ago. They are very comfortable – but probably not suitable for a colder climate and do not provide much support. They are also nearing the end of their life.

My original plan was to wear shoes in Nepal and I purchased a pair of Salomon XA PRO 3D ULTRA 2 GTX – for the goretex and for the support. They were a disaster – too narrow at the front (made my feet numb) and too stiff and high at the back (gave me blisters).

I then went down the boots path and bought some Scarpa Terra Gtx boots (lightweight and mid height). I got a size up from what I would usually get – my usual size was too tight with thick socks. But I instantly feel pain in my knees when I start walking in them – and instantly feel relief when I change to shoes. I have worn them around the streets a few times (for an hour or two at a time), and also used them on a day hike in the bush (about 6-7 hours). I saw a podiatrist who put extra padding in the in-soles for arch support, which made a slight difference but did not eliminate the problem. When I do them up tighter there is slight relief on my knees but my feet and ankles are not comfortable. I’ve also noticed my knees feel the worst when I’m walking on the flat.

My questions are as follows: Is it usual to feel knee pain when wearing boots for the first time and do my legs/feet just need to get used to it? Could it be the larger size that is the root of the problem? Given my situation, are shoes a better option for this trek?

I’m really stuck on this one. I will probably see another podiatrist but it would be good to hear opinions from people that know about trekking specifically. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Jodi, I have been up there twice. The first time was back in the old days when nearly everybody wore full heavy leather boots. The second time was when I used ankle-high thinner boots.

I don't know what season you are going, so it is hard to say for sure. If you go during the monsoon season, it is terribly wet. If you go very late in the fall, it is terribly cold. It is not unusual to be trekking over some pieces of glaciers, so it is good to have something with an aggressive tread.

No, I don't believe that it is normal to have knee pain from wearing boots like that. Could it be that you are out of shape? You really ought to go to a podiatrist, or else move up to a sports medicine specialist if something is really wrong. If the first podiatrist gave you some relief, why not see the same one again and say that you need more relief. However, the problem may not be in your feet. It may be in your ankles or knees, and your knee pain is purely from the weight of boots.

When I went the first time, most of the trekkers were getting knee pain, but that was not from boots. It was from walking downhill too rapidly and with the knee fully extended. Once they learned to walk like a Sherpa, the knee pain eased up and then disappeared.

–B.G.–

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Bob, really appreciate the reply. I'm going to Nepal at the start of October (along with many others I'm sure!!). Other than the extra support of boots, my main concern is the cold, followed by the potential wet/snow. I don’t think it is a fitness issue – well I hope not – I'm probably the most 'walking fit' I've ever been. I walk most days (about 30km-50km a week) in addition to running and playing other sports. And my knees feel great in all other footwear. The first podiatrist has gone on annual leave so is not an option, but I was also put off because she didn’t really assess my feet or walking style – just looked at the boots and drew a conclusion. I’m going to try a sports specific podiatrist next time. You may be on to something with the weight of the boots – I hadn’t really considered that as they are classed as ‘light’ for boots, but are of course much heavier than my shoes and I am also a light person – 55kg (ish) female.

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm

If you are having knee pain from boots it is not uncommon. I wear minimal drop trail runners with a rock plate and dont have the pain like I had with boots now. Listen to your knees.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Jodi, if you get there at the start of October, you will have missed nearly all of the monsoon rains. However, sometimes the rains continue a bit into early October. The weather fouls up helicopter flights to Lukla more than anything.

As long as you have some halfway substantial boots, you should not need to rely on the boots for warmth. You should rely on proper socks for warmth. The boots just hold the tread on the bottom and keep out the yak dung from getting in the top. Besides, you can wear short gaiters to provide some weatherproofness, and they don't weigh much.

What you might try doing is to train with your normal routine sports, plus do one or two days per week of walking with your intended boots. At first, that can be short mileage, and then increase the mileage as the trip approaches.

I don't remember ever doing any long mileage days in Nepal. Maybe 12 or 15 miles was the worst, and that was only going downhill. The uphill days started with maybe 8 or 10 miles and then reduced to only 5 as we got up around 16,000 feet or more.

Disregard all of this if you are doing something special, like a peak climb while you are there.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 3:13 am

We wore very light tennis shoes (Dunlop KT-26s) until we had to put crampons on. The trip leader was horrified at the idea – tough. Unlike some, who rented big boots, we had no foot (or knee) troubles at all.

Cheers

PostedAug 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

First, I say ditch that Podiatrist. No analysis of your structure/gait?? Find another clinic! A Sports/running specialist. You absolutely deserve your $ back.
I am in the exact position as you concerning footwear Jodi. I hope to get to Nepal this Spring if at all possible, Fall if not. Shoes and tent seem to be the toughest decisions. Are you bringing a tent or 'teahousing' it.
Anyway, I am still not sure about shoes. I'll need a light weight and a med weight I figure. I get cold easy, and over the ankle is definitely warmer than a lower cut, so I need that for elevation, (and a weaker right ankle too) esp if there's snow or glacier involved. I'm looking at the Millet Switch, or more likely I'll stick with my tried and true Asolo FSN 95. They are both 1100g per pair. I like the looks of the Millet Heaven Peak also, but it may be overkill. (200g/pr heavier too).
For low elevation and/or light hiking, I'm checking out the Inov8 Roclite line,(295/315…) and the Sportiva options as well. I currently have the Inov8 F-Lite 195, which is a cross-fit/road running shoe, and I absolutely love them. Good luck with the decision.

PostedAug 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Jodi,
My wife and I went on the same trek to EBC a yr ago in Spring. Great trip. Your footwear and knee pain are common issues we discussed in our group of Trekkers and climbers. The conclusion was to wear what u hike in back home that's comfy. Some folk are boot folk but they are the growing minority. Ur size and history of comfort in shoe(get a size lgr than u need)gives u the answer. Also do some stair work these next few days. Have fun!
Bob Markwell

PostedAug 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thank you all for your comments. What a great forum.

Podiatrist #2 did an extremely thorough assessment and concluded that the boots are too big for me, which means my feet don’t bend where they should, and I consequently feel the pain in my knees. Fortunately he found there was nothing unusual about my feet, knees, ankles or walk. He gave me some foam heels to put under the insoles which give the effect of a smaller size, and although that eased the pain somewhat, I’m still not comfortable taking them on a two week trek.

The podiatrist claimed to be 90% sure the same boot in a smaller size would be ok, but I’m reluctant to try, considering how much grief the first pair have caused. I did look at a Merrell boot on the weekend that is barely a boot but is ridiculously comfortable and light. I feel like it could be a good compromise. It won’t be as durable, protective or supportive as the Scarpa but will be more so than my runners, and if I’m making comfort my priority I think it could be the way to go.

And Bob – no, I won’t be taking a tent – just a very, very snug sleeping bag for the tea houses : )

PostedAug 19, 2013 at 7:41 am

Jodi: I was just there with my daughter this spring. Great trip. I took a well broken in pair of full leather Danner Mountain Light II GTX and a pair of Keens for "town" shoes. Put the green Superfeet insoles in the boots. Sized up one and wore silk or polypro liner socks and wool outer socks. Took plenty of time to break boot in (50+ miles with same insole/socks setup I used on trek, and did it slowly as the tongue gusset is a little unusual at first). My knees are shot, but with some pre-trip fitness work, the Danners and a good set of trekking poles (I used Black Diamond Trail Shocks, as did a few others in our trekking party. I and all others thought they were great; Essential for my crap knees) I had no knee problems and feet stayed comfy the entire trip. Not one blister or even hot spot. Having the Keens to change into once we pulled into a teahouse on trek, and in KTM, was nice.
My daughter, at 21, threw caution to the wind, did no training in preparation for the trip (other than her wait staff job that, admittedly, requires a fair deal of walking around all day). She did fine all the way to EBC and back. Her boots were Vasque Breeze 2.0 Mid GTX. Pretty much right out of the box. No aftermarket insoles. Silk or polypro liner and wool hikers. Not blister one and absolutely no complaints. A pair of light Nikes for "town". We both, if we had a do over, would add a pair of flip flops or something, for shower shoes. She took trekking poles as well. Never used them. Lot to say for youthful knees, heart and lungs. Oh, and to dad's shame, she smoked, not more than 5 cigs per day, but still… ,the entire trip. But so do most of the Sherpas. Go figure.
Good luck. You'll have a blast.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...