Topic

titanium lid to cork handle

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 7:15 am

Id like to attach a cork lid topper to the lid of my titanium pot
Would it be best to drill a hole and put a screw up from the bottom into the cork or is there an adhesive that would stand up to the heat?

D S BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 7:50 am

I'd just drill a small hole and put a loop of Spectra Cord thru it.

Lee Oz BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 8:44 am

I am assuming that Dean meant something like in the picture below, although he said "a small hole" not two (but I could be wrong, inherent risk with assumptions).

Lid w/cord
(This image, found on bikepacking.net, is the property of Joseph Meiser)

Edited for sucking at posting an image.

D S BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:02 am

I meant thru the lid only.

The problem with the loop pictured is that it will slip down into the lid. My proposed method is to use a single hole. Take a piece of Spectra and tie an overhand loop in the center. Stick both ends thru the hole from the top side of the lid and tie an Underwriters knot on the bottom side of the lid. Clip excess and melt ends. Spectra is stiff enough to stand up when you want, yet lay flat for packing.

Lee Oz BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:33 am

And thank you for the explanation, I might actually try your method on my Ti pot lid (the occasional clinking of the handle makes me cringe).

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 10:59 am

the picture you posted is the exact pot that i am doing this too. it has a funky little folded up piece of titanium that you are supposed to stick your spoon handle under to lift the lid.

thanks to you both for your ideas. much obliged

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 11:13 am

I did one like that, except instead of Spectra cord I used about one inch of silicone string. You might ask, "Where do you get silicone string?"

It was the short cord on a hang tag on some garment that I purchased. I used epoxy to seal it to the top of the lid.

–B.G.–

D S BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

If you already have 2 holes, you can use a piece of the appropriate sized cord (so knot doesn't pull through) and form it like the pic, but tie an overhand knot on each side on top and another on each side on bottom. Hint, leave the bottom knots loose and cinch them up close to the lid before tightening.

M B BPL Member
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Just take a bit of al foil tape and make a tab. superlightwt, works great.

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedAug 23, 2013 at 1:13 am

Alex,
I think you are going to have the best luck by drilling a small hole and sticking a screw through the lid. The only adhesive I would consider for your purposes would be a high temperature resistant epoxy.

I was in the same position as you recently (but with an aluminum pot). I found a 99 cent drawer knob from a hardware store and finished it with Tru-Oil (which is basically a tung oil/linseed oil type finish) for water resistance.

I first tried some super glue and that quickly fell off after only two boils or so.

I decided that screwing the thing on was going to be the best fix, so I went ahead and did that. Here is what my lid looks like now:
Lid

There are a few things to consider when screwing a knob onto a pot lid:

1. It's probably worth using a stainless steel screw for job this because it will be MUCH more corrosion resistant in the long run than the cheaper zinc-coated screws. I think this is actually relevant because the screw will be subjected to an environment with lots of heat and moisture.

2. To avoid any potential galvanic corrosion issues between the titanium lid and your non-titanium screw, I would suggest using a small nylon washer to physically separate the screw from the underside of the lid.

I hadn't thought to use a piece of cork like you are proposing to do, but I think that will work just as well as my finished wooden knob. It will certainly be cheaper and less work, and cork is very resistant to rotting even in damp conditions.

Best of luck with your project!

PostedAug 23, 2013 at 4:42 am

I used a small piece of bamboo for a handle and affixed it with epoxy to my MYOG lid. So far, so good. My set up is a cheapie alum pot /lid, so if it doesn't work out, no harm, no foul.

Michael

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...