Topic

Boots vs Shoes – South Coast Track (SCT) Tasmania

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Boots vs Shoes – South Coast Track (SCT) Tasmania

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rod Dickfos

@rdickfos

Locale: Sydney, Northern Beaches

Hi, six of us are doing the SCT in December and we are in the middle of a serious flame war about boots vs shoes on the track. We will be travelling light with a 7-10kg pack inc 7 days food.
    Has anyone down the walk in shoes (I have Salomon XT Wings 3 or Inov8 TERRAFLY 313 GTX) both great shoes)
    And short gaiters (Montbelll semi-spats and Dirty Girl gaiters)
    Any experience with the mud and short gaiters? (I don't care about getting muddy.)
    I am trying to do this SUL but only down to a 3kg base weight.
    BTW we are old farts….thx

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Just do it. Shoes won't be a problem. Just make sure you do them up tight so you don't lose them in a bog.

Wearing light shoes and carrying a light pack you'll contribute less to the bog problem.

Shoes will dry out quicker. Your feet will get wet whatever you wear.

Gaiters don't matter either way. The short ones you mention might help hold your shoes on in a bog better than not having a gaiter at all.

Enjoy :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Rick

Shoes, or joggers, will work fine. Just do it. Some of the Taswegians will be horrified of course, but we are used to their reaction.
    Short gaiters – just fine.
    Mud – yes, I do believe there could be some in a few places … :-)

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools