Topic

modifying an existing bag… how far is too far?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear modifying an existing bag… how far is too far?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I'm pretty new to UL backpacking and BPL (first new post actually) but the bug hit hard after a recent trip to Alaska where a buddy got me hooked! I've been a builder in the past and love creating things so the whole MYOG concept is scratching me right where I itch too. But I wanted to check w/ some of the more experienced among you before doing anything rash.

I've got ~10 yr old REI Talus50 backpack, that is in really good condition and weighs 3lb 14oz (see pics at end). I want a sub 2lb 45-50L pack. I've been running the numbers and it looks like I could get this pack to ~ 1lb 13oz, but would be left w/ a very rugged but featureless bag, that might not carry very well. Below are the weights of various components(all in oz). The things I'd consider removing are marked x at front, and all weight I was able to get a descent measurement of have *.

Overall Pack – 62*
    x Y-Frame/plastic structure – 11.4*
    x Brain – 7.1*
    x Back Pad – 6
    Hip Belt – 4.5*
    Shoulder Straps (total) – 3*
    x Side Compression Straps (6 total) – 3*
    x Upper extension – 2.5*
    x Structure pocket & zipper – 1.5
    x brain tie-down straps – 1.5*
    Side zipper – 1.5
    x Daisy chain – 1
    x Front flaps w/ strap – 1
    x Side gear loops (2 total) – .75
    x bladder mesh pocket – .5

So the question is, do I take to this bag like Edward Scissorhands, or sell it and buy something like GGG4, Osprey Hornet46 or REI Flash45 (which of those is a whole nother topic). I'm leaning toward selling it since I'd hate to destroy whats really a great pack, just not a good fit for me anymore… but I'm also really curious about this as a project and a FREE sub 2lb pack is pretty tempting, even if its bare-bones. thanks for the help and looking forward to participating in lots od discussions on BPL!
    Front ViewFront View
    Back ViewBack View

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

forgot to mention one thing… I have NO sewing capability currently. No sewing machine, don't know anyone who owns (other than parents 1500 mi away), and don't know how to even if I did have access…

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

keep that bag as a loaner. there are probably some good memories in those scraps you were about to trim. you can use it for the car camping trips and when you need to portage beer and other luxuries.

in the mean time, look on gearswap or the major gear sites when they have their blowout sales for anything and everything that catches your eye. Good luck in your quest for the perfect pack. i liked your list but think you would like the frame of the gorilla better. i used to rock a striped down talon 44 and loved that thing to death. the new rei ul 45 pack looks great and can be had up to 35% off at times i'm sure. also check out mountain laurel designs, six moon designs, zpacks and god for bid don't even look at zimmerbuilt (except for inspiration) or else you will be in serious trouble.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You need sewing machine.

Realistically, you have to make several things before you get experience.

Maybe be cheaper to just buy already made stuff.

If you have time and enjoy it, then MYOG is good. Sometimes you can make just what you want.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools