I'm pretty new to UL backpacking and BPL (first new post actually) but the bug hit hard after a recent trip to Alaska where a buddy got me hooked! I've been a builder in the past and love creating things so the whole MYOG concept is scratching me right where I itch too. But I wanted to check w/ some of the more experienced among you before doing anything rash.
I've got ~10 yr old REI Talus50 backpack, that is in really good condition and weighs 3lb 14oz (see pics at end). I want a sub 2lb 45-50L pack. I've been running the numbers and it looks like I could get this pack to ~ 1lb 13oz, but would be left w/ a very rugged but featureless bag, that might not carry very well. Below are the weights of various components(all in oz). The things I'd consider removing are marked x at front, and all weight I was able to get a descent measurement of have *.
Overall Pack – 62*
x Y-Frame/plastic structure – 11.4*
x Brain – 7.1*
x Back Pad – 6
Hip Belt – 4.5*
Shoulder Straps (total) – 3*
x Side Compression Straps (6 total) – 3*
x Upper extension – 2.5*
x Structure pocket & zipper – 1.5
x brain tie-down straps – 1.5*
Side zipper – 1.5
x Daisy chain – 1
x Front flaps w/ strap – 1
x Side gear loops (2 total) – .75
x bladder mesh pocket – .5
So the question is, do I take to this bag like Edward Scissorhands, or sell it and buy something like GGG4, Osprey Hornet46 or REI Flash45 (which of those is a whole nother topic). I'm leaning toward selling it since I'd hate to destroy whats really a great pack, just not a good fit for me anymore… but I'm also really curious about this as a project and a FREE sub 2lb pack is pretty tempting, even if its bare-bones. thanks for the help and looking forward to participating in lots od discussions on BPL!
Front View
Back View

