Topic

Adding a zip to an Event Bivy.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 11, 2013 at 8:51 am

Hi folks,

I have an Integral Designs Event Overbag and would like to get a half zip added to it, I am wondering is this something I could realistically try
at home or would I be better off sending away to be done.

Cheers,

Stephen

Kevin Beeden BPL Member
PostedAug 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm

If you are competent at sewing a zip, then I don't see any real problem. I'd probably remove any seam seal tape (warm iron and brown paper; the reverse of my OM article on repairing waterproofs). Then open up the seam and insert the zip. You shouldn't need the extra fabric provided by the seam allowance to insert the zip, but it's always nice to have a bit of spare to play with…

I'd probably insert a placket on the upper half to protect the zip from rain; any old waterproof fabric that's to hand, folded double. Sew the placket between the outer and the zip. Probably easiest to sew the placket to one side of the zip (on the outside face of the zip…) before inserting the zip as normal.

Then tape the zip seams. There will be a small water path to the zip backer fabric via the threads of the seam, but you can always run some DWR treatment along it to help.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Cheers Captain,

Unfortunately it will have to be done by hand as my sewing machine is back in Ireland.

I will indeed check out your OM article on it.

Much appreciated.

Stephen

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hi Greg,

Good question.

The overbag is purely for deep winter use in snowholes and under tarps.

If I could fit a waterproof zipper it would be a bonus, but as the event overbag does not have an enclosed hood it may be a moot point.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 8:20 am

Cheers Malto,

Will check Zpacks out.

Hi Dave,

I seem to recall that Roger got his done by Scottish Mountain Gear.

Cheers,

Stephen

Kevin Beeden BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:13 am

This might be used to replace my suggested placket (aka flap protecting the zip). But I think your logic regarding use and the big hole at the top is probably sound; how 'waterproof' do you really need it to be? You might add an internal placket, facing up, to keep out the tiny amount of water that might seep in through the seam thread. This placket would have to be fixed to the back of the zip, and the seam can be completely sealed.

Hand sewing is going to be painful, with either plackets or 'waterproof' zip.

Roger B BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:57 am

You are correct Stephen it was Scottish Mountain Gear.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 11:18 am

Kevin,

I thought hand sewing might be a pain in the arse.

Hi Roger,

Do you use the bivy much in winter?

Roger B BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 11:25 am

Not really, I have been using a tarp tent, but this winter it is more likely because I will partner it with an MLD Cricket

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 11:27 am

Cheers Roger, I used the overbag a bit last winter with a Trailsar.

James L. BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I am curious about this as well. I've got a Bibler bivy made of the ToddTex fabric. It is very durable and repels weather nicely. But there is no side zipper. I'd like to add one if possible. Anyone know of a place in California? Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...