Topic

Two new UL synth puffies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Two new UL synth puffies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

For a while the rab xenon was about the lightest synthetic puffy with a hood. Good to see a couple other options emerging in that same weight range:

Arc'Teryx Nuclei

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&model=Nuclei-Hoody

Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Hoody

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Thermostaticâ„¢-Hooded-Jacket/OM5667,default,pd.html

The Nuclei looks especially good with 80gm in the core and without all those sewn through panels

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I have the thermostatic. Light, compressible, warm, but the hood is huge, non-adjustable, and basically useless. The arms are also too short. I'm past the time frame to return it, so I'll probably trade it in at the local gear shop.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Golite Wenatchee, no hood.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Those look like good jackets. It's too bad that BPL/Oware stopped making their puffy hoody (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_60_hoody.html#.Ugeu4aycx8E). I've got one and really like it, but I have to baby it knowing that there really isn't a replacement at that weight (although those other ones are close).

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I've been using the Nuclei for a couple weeks now, and am pretty impressed by it thus far. The hood is a nice fit with no helmet, materials are very soft and reminiscent of how my last comfy down puffy felt (which is important as I use my jackets as a sleep layer often) and the arms are nice and long. This was my first Arcteryx purchase and am thoroughly impressed by the fit. I'm a slender/tall/athletic build and almost every garment I try is baggy in some spot or another. This jacket feels tailored to my physique. I will add though that if you have much extra weight, you might need to size up or consider a different jacket. I haven't had a chance to test it out in very low temps yet, but in the morning when it's still lower 50s I'm sweating in it, so I have no doubts with my merino long sleeve and this jacket that I'll be comfortable in all 3 season temps. My large came in at 11oz.

The price seemed reasonable on this jacket too, considering what the brand historically gets away with charging.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I read a report (Backpacker magazine) that said Dri Down sleeping bags dried FASTER when soaked than did synthetic bags.

So if the new down treatment is that good is it worth it getting synthetic fill clothing? Just askin'

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

Could you post a link to that report.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Not exactly similar, but my "All-Weather-Because-I'm-Too-Poor-to-Own-Two-Jackets" insulated jacket is an Arcteryx Atom SV I found on sale a long time ago.

It's heavier (and likely warmer) than this new one by 6oz, but if the cut is similar, I can say it's top-notch. It fits me perfect and I use it for sleeping on a regular basis.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The Sv does rock Max:-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Stephen,

Sorry, I'm only semi-computer literate and don't know how to post a link. Love it when someone does.

Just look at Backpacker Magazine online this week and it should be there. It's an article on DWR treated down sleeping bags.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Eric,

I will deploy my Google-Fu.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I got a Nuceli a few weeks ago and I am very impressed.
    Size Xl comes in at 310g and at that weight it packs a massive warmth punch.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I've been using the Thermostatic for a year now. I don't think the hood is huge at all. Seems to work just fine for me. I've definitely been in some seriously windy conditions, too (13,000' ridgelines in winter). My L actually comes in right at 10.6oz.

I'm a big fan of down, normally, but this is my ski touring insulation and needs to deal with wet snow. I carry a Blizzard Bag for emergencies, so the light insulation works for me. I don't really stop and hang around much.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools