Topic

Advice needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I happen to find myself along the coast of Eastern Canada with a couple free days. I was smart enough to bring all my gear, but not smart enough to have researched the area.

Does anyone have any experience hiking up here with trail recommendations? I'm looking for a good 2 to 4 day loop.

I appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Which province are you in? Are you looking for something in the immediate area, or are you willing to hop from, say, Nova Scotia to Newfoundland?

In Nova Scotia, Kejimkujik or the Cape Breton Highlands. In New Brunswick, the Bay of Fundy or Kouchibouguac, in Newfoundland Gros Morne (west) or Terra Nova (east). Those are just the national parks, but there are beautiful walks everywhere. Knowing where you are will make recommendations a bit easier. :)

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Hey Bogs,

Thanks for the reply. I just crossed from Maine into New Brunswick. I am mobile in a 4WD truck and willing to hop where ever. Looking forward to checking the area out. I am googling the NPs you note now. Anything you like over the others?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Well, it's a big area, and I'm sure you don't want to spend your time driving. :)

Kouchibouguac is coastal, low elevation, barrier islands…all dunes and salt marsh, beautiful but no really long loop trails. More restful than challenging.

Bay of Fundy National Park, however, lets you link up trails into a 48 km loop through all kinds of habitat. Google 'Fundy Circuit'. Might be perfect for the time you have.

If you come down into Nova Scotia, Kejimkujik has the 60 km 'Liberty Lake' loop around the park, a fairly rugged hike, though not much elevation. Can be muddy. Lots of wildlife, so beware trail confusion. Bring your DEET! Keji is also a 'dark sky preserve' and will be fantastic for the Perseid meteor shower in the next few days.

The Cape Breton Highlands are where you'd go for elevation (although Newfoundland has higher hills by far). The trails are shorter, however, and you'd have to do some work to put together a true backcountry route.

You'd be a couple of days just getting to Newfoundland, so sadly we might have to leave it out. You'll just have to come back. :)

Edit: I misremembered Keji's loop distance, it's 60k, not 50.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

I can only add a little to what Bogs said.
    The Cape Breton highlands are great but a long drive to get to hiking.
    Fundy National Park is pretty nice, but just car camped there.
    A friend hiked Kejimkujik and really liked it; it sounded similar to the hiking I did in the Cape Breton highlands.
    If the ferries to Maine still exist, driving to the southern tip of Nova Scotia and taking the ferry back to Maine (Bar Harbor?) is a nice trip and would make Kejimkujik a reasonable drive.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Bogs,

Thanks for the help. I am surprised at how big and open it is up here.

I'll post when I'm done. I think it will be Fundy or Keji. Heading for Fundy now to check it out.

Thanks again!!!

Cheers,

EDIT: Just saw your reply Walter. Keji is sounding like it might be the one I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools