Topic

Please help me Identify the culprit of this poo in my bowl outide of my tent

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Michael K BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Around 30 feet outside of my tent around 3 weeks ago, I woke up in the morning to find poo in my bowl in my pot and white powdery stuff. This was at Ruby Lake off the Lime Mesa Trail on Colorado's Weminuche in Colorado. I store my food in some sort of container away from my tent (hung or ursack) and I often put my cookware somewhere far from my tent out of fear of the smell that it may still have after use……I do this because you can't clean stuff as well in the wild as at home and I'm a bit paranoid about attracting animals. 3 questions:

1) What animal do you think did this?

2) Why? Out of all places to go…..why in my bowl in my pot? Do you think it's territorial or "aggressive"?

3) What is this white powdery stuff?

BTW, there were lots of active marmot in the area and there was some sort of cat active in the immediate area for 2 nights (only heard it)poop

doug thomas BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm

A house trained one? Seriously, from the color, I would think the cat or possibly a raccoon.

Michael K BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I do not think that it was a house trained domesticated cat, since there was no one else around and we were around 8 miles from the trailhead. However, the feces may have been from a cat. We heard the cat calling out and circling our tent (but never had the guts to stick out our heads as this happened). I have no idea if it was a mountain lion or a bobcat, but it definitely sounded like some sort of cat.

Sharon J. BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

if it's a raccoon, I'd probably burn the bowl. Seriously, you do NOT want to mess with raccoon roundworms.

doug thomas BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Considering the area you're in I was thinking maybe bobcat, or maybe feral cats. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the coloring looks almost black which normally indicates blood in the stool, so I would think it would be some type of small carnivore.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm

If you develop a short list of possible animals, then go to the web and search for "(animal name) vocalizations". Several web sites have lists of each animal and will play one version of the animal sound. Keep doing that until you hear something that matches what you remember.

I thought that I heard a mountain lion scream the other night. It turned out to be a grey fox scream.

–B.G.–

Chad B BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm

"My apologies. The coke made me a little crazy."

Well, at least you packed out your TP.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

"3) What is this white powdery stuff?"

Dried saliva from the offending animal.

–B.G.–

PostedAug 9, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I've heard that foxes will not poop on bare ground and prefer rocks. Any foxes in the area?

No clue about the white powdery stuff…

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedAug 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

And now you know to always turn your stuff upside down if you're going to leave it outside!

Buck Nelson BPL Member
PostedAug 11, 2013 at 4:27 pm

and my guess it just happened when it was checking out your bowl, just like a mouse would.

Dan Yeruski BPL Member
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 11:46 am

One evening up in Canada an owl met up with my windsheild and totally covered the windsheild with a powdery substance. So, maybe a ground burrowing owl found it nice of you to provide for it's evening potty break. Maybe it had the powdery substance on it feathers as it nestled in for a good dump.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Loading...