I have a Granite Gear Blaze (60L) and my wife has a TNF Casimir 36 (36L) giving us a total capacity of 96L. Since we will be sharing some equipment like the tent and stove, do we jointly have enough capacity for a AT thru-hike? I've often read that about 50L is the recommended minimum for a thru-hike. Do we need to get something else for my wife and if so, how much bigger? Thoughts?
Topic
Total pack volume for a couple doing the AT.
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
"I have a Granite Gear Blaze (60L) and my wife has a TNF Casimir 36 (36L) giving us a total capacity of 96L. Since we will be sharing some equipment like the tent and stove, do we jointly have enough capacity for a AT thru-hike? I've often read that about 50L is the recommended minimum for a thru-hike. Do we need to get something else for my wife and if so, how much bigger? Thoughts?"
Not sure where you read the 50l comment but I thru hiked the PCT and section hiked much of the AT with a 38l pack. It takes a low volume gear list to hit that small but don't let anyone (including me) tell you what your pack volume should be. Get your gear together and approximate your food carry and check the volume. If you don't have your gear nailed down then wait until it is to pick your pack size. Make sure to think through the food volume. It was at least equal to the volume of all of my gear.
Really impossible to comment without a lot more data. What contents you anticipate putting in each pack … ! What time of year you plan to start.
As a wild guess, unless you're both pretty experienced at truly ultralight hiking, your wife might want a higher capacity pack.
I'd also hazard a guess that if you're asking the question in this way, that you likely need to increase the capacity of at least of of the packs — i.e., that if you could make that pack combination work then I suspect you would already know that you can. I don't mean to be patronizing or anything with that comment (!), just pragmatic.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Link – I had read Tapon's book so I'd seen that gear list. Very impressive, but I'm not quite there yet. Something to shoot for in the future.
Hiking Malto – The 50L figure I picked up from a Backpacker magazine article (http://www.backpacker.com/appalachian_trail_gear_list/gear/12536). I realize it's just a guideline and some will need more and some less but I had to start somewhere. I'm not sure about the idea of fitting the gear to the pack. I'm afraid I'd end up with 100L of gear and then have to find the pack to carry it all! Of course I'd have to then pare it down to a reasonable size so why not start with the reasonable size pack and let it be the limiting factor.
Brian – Yes, I'm a newbie at this and I think I can make the combination work but should I? Is it wise to have 60/36 ratio or does it really make no difference? Just wondering if there is something you more experience guys and gals know that I haven't considered.
As others said, no way to tell.
If you dont have 90% of the gear to put in it, and obviously you dont, why do you already have the pack?
A thru hike, is only a series of shorter 3-5 day hikes linked together.
All you need, is what you need for any 5 day trip. Maybe 7-8 day food in maine.
Actually, I do have 90% of the "gear". And as to why I have the pack, we used it on a hike across Spain recently. I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense to try and use it on the AT or is it too small.
As an earlier post suggested…. Don't let the AT intimidate you. It will be a series of say 3-5 day hikes depending on speed and resupply schedule. I would work to pare up your gear. Pare up? Yes. Instead of pare down start with what you would take for a day hike. Add what you need to spend the night and cook a meal then add for any conditions may be encountered. This approached helped me really minimize my gear and I ended my they hike with essentially the same gear that I started with. Then size your pack.
It may be helpful to post a full gear list for critique. Folks on this site are very good at providing feedback and you have many with thru hiking experience including several with multiple long trails under their belt.
"Actually, I do have 90% of the "gear". And as to why I have the pack, we used it on a hike across Spain recently. I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense to try and use it on the AT or is it too small."
No offense, but then why are you asking here?
Put your stuff in it, if you can squeeze a weeks food in too, your good. Dont forget to consider winter type gear needs as well.
The avg thru hiker on the AT is probably carrying 55-70 L osprey or gregory packs.
But they are carrying heavier bulky gear as well, and too much of that too, at least at the start.
Many people buy new gear along the way, if not at Mountain Crossings, just 30 miles from Springer, then in Hot Springs or Damascus.
O.K. guys, thanks I think I got my answer.
Basically what I'm hearing is as long as all the gear and food for both of us fits in the combined two packs it's fine. The fact that one is 60L and the other a much smaller 36L is irrelevant.
Some people will say its a good idea for both persons to carry individual food, sleeping gear, raingear, and a shelter (or groundcloth that can be used as a temp shelter), in case you become separated.
Depends on if you will ever get out of sight of the other person or not. Thats an individual thing.
Not very experienced either so take this with a lump of salt.
If your stuff fits in the two packs and both of you are comfortable with the weight differential then just go for it. If/when the difference becomes an issue (your strength and skill will evolve) be willing to purchase 1 or 2 more appropriate packs down the road.
Ah, and there's an article on here on trekking as a couple. It's a good read and might have some good suggestions.
Become a member to post in the forums.

