Topic

Superior Hiking Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Superior Hiking Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Martinelli
    Spectator

@k-mart

Midwest Friends,

I'm gathering information for a Superior Hiking trail 4 day trip in mid/late September. I've done some research of trip reports and trails to hit. But I thought I'd also reach out here. Any advice on what trails, sections to hit? I love big open views. Also What will the bugs be like late sept? I'm think of using a tarp with no bug bivy/tent inside. Any idea about temp too?

Thanks for any help!

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

I have only ever done section hikes of the southern end of the trail so I could not tell you what to try to hit. Per the website "Silver Bay to Tettegouche State Park and Highway 1 – This section has some of the best scenery on the Trail, several campsites, fishing and pretty reliable water". If you call the office they are very friendly and would be willing to give you that information. As for bugs you should not have to worry about them at the end of September. Your night temperatures are going to be in the low 40's to high 30's if you are lucky. I have been unlucky enough to wake up to freezing temperatures in the last week of September while camping. Just remember you are on the water front so it will be colder than inland.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Kyle,
    Late Sept there will not be any bugs. At that time I usually use a tarp and plastic ground sheet. The temps could be anywhere from the high 40's to freezing. The fall colors should be spectacular. Call the SHTA office (218-834-2700) for areas to go. Here are a pair of links to my FLICKR site for a couple of trips I did in late Sept.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157624957662005/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157631691988454/
    If you read the captions it will tell you where we were. If you have any questions you can PM me.

Dave

Kyle Martinelli
    Spectator

@k-mart

Thank you both for your replies. You both recommended calling the office, so I'll be sure to do that. And those photos look awesome Dave!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools