I know there is the en rating system for sleeping bags, and that manufacturers rate their bags for certain temperatures. I was wondering if there is anything like that for coats and jackets. There are so many options out there that I have no idea what is what. I've read Wil's SOTM report, but that is 3 yrs old and compares specific jackets and uses testing that really can't be tried on a jacket I may want to purchase. You would think there would be a difference between a well made STOIC or RAB and a COSTO special, but maybe not, other than price. I know materials make a big difference, so overall weight can't be used as a deciding factor, neither can the amount of down because compression also affects warmth. So, is it all trial and error, or is there a standard that will allow me to find a jacket to keep me warm into the low 20's?
Topic
Another jacket thread
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
del
Doug, you make a good point. It's rare to see jackets with any type of comfort rating declared. Lands End does it for their coats but of course those are not UL. I think most people, like myself, sort of guess at it based on loft but that's a crap-shoot since it depends on what the fill is.
I agree with the "crapshoot" comment. I've bought a few jackets lately, one I purchased on BPL fits perfectly, but isn't really warm enough during cool nights. Another would probably be warm enough if it fit properly, and the STOIC hadron I just bought fits perfectly, with a t-shirt, but will be too small with cool weather clothing. That and I have doubts that it will be warm enough. I know a lot of finding the right jacket is subjective, but it would be nice if the was some sort of standard that manufacturers could come up with.
Doug,
I have the Hadron and really like it and find it warm to about 35f-40f, I can use it down to about 25f with a 60gm2 synthetic piece.
For below 25f I have a Gooses Feet parka, I tested it to -13f and was warm in it with appropriate leg protection.
del
I have contended that down CLOTHING can do very well with "mere" 600 fill because the less compressible fill works well due to the fact that motion and pack wearing tends to compress the heavier fills less than the more expensive (lighter) fill weights.
BUT… will you carry a bit more weight? will you be able to still pack a larger stuffsack for that less expensive jacket? Thems the questions, Bucky.
Become a member to post in the forums.

