Topic

Vol-Bivy in the Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Vol-Bivy in the Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

Ten days of XC with limited resupply and plenty of walking. What a way to make distance. Makes me so jealous.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

No way!

Forget pack-rafting … Where is the BPL "how-to" video series for this!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

In the national parks. I know BASE jumping isn't but how about this. Either way, it is super cool.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Wow. Very cool. Not sure it's legal, but try and catch them!

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

Too cool!!! How do I learn how to do this and what gear do I need to do it?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

This looks amazing…or I bet it would be once I finished puking and could concentrate on the views. Motion sickness-prone, bleh.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains
    Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

"Wow. Very cool. Not sure it's legal, but try and catch them!"

Its completely legal. The air space is administered by the FAA and foot launched soaring craft need to follow the rules laid out by that organization, but beyond that you can fly pretty much where you like (or within legal soaring airspace anyway).

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

"Too cool!!! How do I learn how to do this and what gear do I need to do it?"

John you have to learn how to soar first. Soaring sports in the US are self regulated and managed through the US Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association. Its pretty straight forward, but getting into vol-bivy is going to require some air time and dedication. Most of these guys have at least a P4 certification and a lot of hours in the harness. I took my first vol-bivy flight when I made P3 (although I did a lot more walking than flying).

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Matt, I didn't mean the flying part (which I defer on the legality to to you), but more so the camping in various spots without a permit. As as I said before, try and catch them!

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

OIC, yeah its a bit difficult to get a permit for backcountry travel when the range of your possible camping sites could be hundreds of kilometers apart.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

No thanks. I'd rather walk. "Up close and personal," as Howard Cosell used to say.

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

"No thanks. I'd rather walk. "Up close and personal," as Howard Cosell used to say."

Hey, you know, to each their own. Some appreciate the grand view from 17,000'.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools