Topic

MYOG Waterproof Bivy questions.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 5:36 am

So I have been thinking about getting bivvies for me and my wife. We currently use a Cuben MLD Supermid as our shelter, which as worked great, including a thru of the PCT. Weight wise it is great for the size. But for shorter adventures nearer home, I can't help but think that we could get away with shelters that pack smaller and can be set up and used in more difficult locations. I love the idea of being able to sleep in a bivy on rocky outcrops with amazing views, even in fairly strong wind. This is not something I would ever want to try in a Supermid!

I would want the bivy to be a one piece, self contained system. Ie, no tarp to go with it most of the time. As we live in the UK, this definitely means a waterproof bivy of some sort. I have been looking at commercial waterproof breathable ones from the likes of Rab and MLD made from eVent. These mostly tick the boxes, but I can't help thinking that I could make my perfect bivy myself.

As buying eVent seems impossible, I am looking at other waterproof breathable fabrics. What are my options out there? From my reading so far, the breathable Cuben Fibre from zpacks looks very promising, as the membrane is actually eVent! Does anyone know what the waterproof and breath-ability stats are like on this latest generation Cuben fabric? Would it be suitable for a bivy? I am hoping this bivy would be a 4 season setup, is the breath-ability going to work for winter?

The fabric is expensive, but I was thinking making the bottom and sides out of .74 oz/sqyd or 1.0 oz/sqyd Cuben Fibre, with the top, footbox and possibly hood made from the breathable Cuben. I am also intending on having a noseeum screen with a tie-out. Are there any design features worth including that will increase ventilation?

Can Breathable Cuben be bonded with 3M Cuben tape? Also how do you sew AND bond? Do you bond the seams first, then sew over the top, or will bonding with tape suffice? Some bits like the bug screen will need sewing. Do I simply run a piece of bonded Cuben over the back of the stitches to make it waterproof?

For ease of access I'm thinking a half length zip down one side. Is it worth using a waterproof zip for this or would I be better off with a standard zip, covered with a storm flat to stop water getting in?

Finally, does anyone have any good resources for designing a bivy, or any cool features to consider, or any do-s and don't-s?

:)

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 6:33 am

I have 20 inch wide, 1 inch thick mattress. I don't like the bottom more than 22 inches wide.

If it goes up the sides, I get condensation there.

PostedAug 8, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks Jerry. So you're saying, bring the breathable fabric down the sides, and only use the pure Cuben for the base? The breathable Cuben comes in 54" rolls, so I was hoping to make the strip 27" wide, minus seam allowance, so I could get enough for the two bivys out of each width. If I am to come down the sides as well, I would have to rethink this.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 8:48 am

Yeah, that's my experience.

When it get's cold, like below 32 F.

To me, a 54" circumference is a little small anyway. 60" is better. You don't want to compress sleeping bag loft. I also like a little extra room to wear something inside sleeping bag.

If bottom waterproof part is 22", then top should be 38". Plus seam allowance. That uses up your 54" pretty good. Maybe even make it a couple inches wider? But making it too big isn't good either.

Maybe take some cheap plastic, make a tube that's 60 inches around, and put your mattress, sleeping bag, and you inside and see if it's a good size.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 9:57 am

That breathable cuben isn't very breathable unless the latest versions have improved. Far below eVent numbers and many folks have condensation even with eVent. They are both listed somewhere here on BPL. That may be OK with you, just didn't want you to be surprised after paying for it.

P.S- IIRC breathable cuben cannot be bonded, or at the least can only be bonded on one side.
Ryan

PostedAug 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm

j@erry adams I didn't mean the overall circumference would be 54". Simply that the roll comes in 54" width, and I hoped to split that between my, and my wife's bivy. But if I have to use the full width per Bivy, then so be it. Do you think a 60" circumference is about right then? What are the issues with making it too big? I'm 6'1", and a slimish build, but I also sleep cold so normally sleep with clothes on.


@Ryan
Smith Yeah, I can't find many real life reports bout how the breathable cuben fibre performs in the field. However, John B. Abela put up a post on his website recently regarding the new generation of the breathable cuben fabric, and I quote;

"I do not have solid numbers on the material at this point, but the numbers I have been provided from an independant source indicate to me that this 3rd generation material is in the 40,000-45,000 g/m2/24hrs range

"Up first is of course that this new information being provided by Cuben Tech about their latest generation of WPBCF is a quantum leap forward for them and their material. This is a doubling of breathability (MVTR) from gen2 to gen3."

Which if true, is certainly good news, and why I am seriously considering using it to make a bivy. Thanks for the information regarding bonding. I'll have to look into that to see what my options are. :)

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I understood what you were saying about using up the 54 inch efficiently, it's expensive. I hate having left over strips that are a foot wide or whatever.

If you make it too big, it weighs more. It might actually be colder because there's a larger surface area to lose heat out of. Maybe it blows around more in the wind. It requires more pack volume.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Condensation, condensation, condensation.
Utterly unavoidable when it is cold.

Cheers

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

You might do some research here, but I think eVent's MVTR is in the 20,000-25,000 range, so the 3rd Gen CFWPB numbers seem like a stretch. This is all from memory so take it with a grain of salt(like any mfg'ers numbers too I guess). Maybe someone will chime in that knows for sure.

Edit: I read Abela's article. Apparently, Cuben Tech is actually using eVent now so the MVTR is probably in +20k range with Gen3.
Ryan

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm

"Condensation, condensation, condensation.
Utterly unavoidable when it is cold.

Cheers"

Depends on what you call cold. If it is below 40f then I have good experience with VB clothing. Solves the condensation issue at least on a standard bivy. Not sure about a standalone, no tarp bivy. Would have to see where moisture from respiration is going.

PostedAug 9, 2013 at 1:04 am

@Ryan Smith I sent Joe Valesko from Zpacks a few questions, and regarding the fabric he said:

"The breathability should be somewhere between 35000-45000g/m^2/24hr based on their JIS L 1099 testing.
We only have the new stuff now. The original material was also eVent, but now it has a new surface pattern that improves the breathability."

Obviously these are Cuben Tech's figures, so I guess take them with a pinch of salt, but it sounds promising. Also interesting that the Gen2 fabric also used eVent without anyone knowing.

PostedAug 9, 2013 at 1:07 am

@Hiking Malto, Do you not get really clammy in VB clothing? I haven't used it before, but just imagine feeling hot and sticky all night.

As for respiration moisture, I am hoping to design the bivy so that all respiration goes straight out through the bug screen and outside.

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedAug 9, 2013 at 4:44 am

I have been pleasantly surprised by the VB experience. I normally will wear a super light base layer then the VB followed by normal clothes. The closest feeling that I can describe is that it is like you were back in a womb. I don't find it uncomfortable at all and since the base layer is light it dries almost instantaneous when you strip down in the morning. It is also cool to watch the steam come off. Keep in mind that it creates a high HUMIDITY environment not a sweaty environment unless you over insulate. I would certain encourage folks to experiment with it. I believe it is one of the more game changing UL concepts not just for extreme cold but for the temperature range a few degrees from freezing either way. At some point I want to do a bit more experimentation on the upper limit for vb. my main barrier to it is philosophical. The only way to take advantage of VB at warmer temps is by getting a new lighter high temperature rated bag. It violates my goal of trying to specialize my gear to conditions. Rather i want a single kit that gets added or subtracted not replaced.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...