Topic

Ultralight shelter for a tall guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight shelter for a tall guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

I've been looking real hard at the Hexamid Twin, but at 6'3" I'm worried about touching the walls, moisture, etc. Bug protection is a requirement and would like something under 24oz or so.

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

…and I love it.

You can boost the head/foot height by using some sort of short pole (I use carbon arrow shafts that I also use as pack stays) to raise the height on the side tie outs, though it's not really necessary.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

I have one if these…..I'm not quite 5 foot 11 inches.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

Are you looking at the twin just for yourself? I'm 6'3" and the solo (same length as the twin) works just fine for me.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I am 6ft 5 and I had the same concern. I have 2 suggestions for you, both of which are pretty amazing.

I have had both a Hexamid Long and a Yama Mountain Gear Cirraform SW. They both perform extremely well for taller people and the Hexamid long is an absolute palace. I found that they were a little too similar so i anded up selling the YMG only to purchase the Cirraform tarp w/o the built in tent and a Borah Gear Bivy. this way I have the best of all worlds and am completely prepared for any trip I amy choose to take. I kept the Hexamid long for trips that i may plan to spend more time in the shelter rain, longer winter nights, however I just come back from doing the JMT NOBO and loved the flexibility of the YMG tarp and Borah Bivy combo.

If you have any specific questions regarding either of these shelters please just drop me a PM, I am happy to help you out.

Jeff

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

The shelter would be mostly used by myself, however, my girlfriend will come along occasionally. I was looking at the Hexamid Long as well, but I don't I know if you could actually fit two people comfortably. I use a NeoAir XLite, so the thickness from that is going to boost me a few inches closer the tarp itself. Just trying to ease my mind before i drop $500 on a shelter. Anybody of you fellow tall people have any pics of you inside the tent to get a better idea?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have the Twin and I'm 6'3". I use the prolite pad and fit fine even when I'm sharing it with my kids. I occasionally brush the wall with my feet but I move around a lot when I sleep. My bag as a DWR finish so it's really not a problem for me even when the condensation is really bad.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I highly recommend the twin. I have about 100 nights on mine and it's still going strong. I imagine Joe would be able to tell you if it will work. If it needs to be customized for your height I would think that could be done too.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Jason, my wife and I have both the Twin and the Long. We find no problem with two people in the Long. The vertical back wall of the Twin means there's a little more space in the center at the back, but the higher main pole and the side poles mean that there's a lot more room at the head and feet areas at the back. My wife is 5'6" and has to take care not to brush her head against the fly in the Twin but no such problem with the Long. We use a Twin quilt, though, so we sleep closertogether than some people might.
    I'm only 5'10" so I can't comment on how the Twin does for someone of your size, but the Long gives a lot of extra room at the head and foot end compared to the Twin.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

William, do you find that the Hexamid Long fits two people side by side comfortably? The Long looks like it would fit my needs, as long as it will work as a two person shelter if needed.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I am 6'4" and sleep on a 7cm Exped mat and I bought the TarpTent Rainbow. Well long enough for me I have never touched the sides. Very roomy to sit up and organise myself in there. Excellent floor space to sleep 2. I bought it (even though I sleep solo) because I am working on the Lovely to come out with me one day (I think I am getting no where :)). If that doesn't happen then plenty room for my son…..also long wait he is still only 20months old. I REALLY like the shelter!!

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Jason, we prefer the Long over the Twin for two people. It gives more space for two overall, though as I said, there is a little bit less room in the center at the back, because of the vertical back wall on the Twin. For us, the extra space at the head and foot on the Long compensate for this as that is where my wife, who sleeps at the back, is more likely to brush the fly on the Twin. However, your build and sleeping style may make a difference; we're both a fairly slim build and sleep close together. Neither the Twin nor the Long have a lot of width for a couple who like to leave a lot of space between them. You have to be prepared to sleep with touching mats. In return, you get a 2-person shelter that can set up in some pretty tight spots (and weighs very little).
    It should be noted that although the Twin and Long have the same footprint, the geometery is quite different, not just because of the Twin's back pole vs the Long's two sidepoles, but also because of the Long's higher main pole height, which gives more room to sit up over the Twin.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Hi again Jason, I just priced up the Long hexamid and to save about 300grams (10 ounces) on my TT Rainbow I'd have to spend a few hundred dollars more. Now for a UL shelter the $700 mark (and that's without groundcover) is waaaaay to dear in my oppinion!!

Of course each to their own but for me that amount of money is not within my means for just 1 part of my kit.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Mik, if I'm reading your post correctly, you think the Hexamid Long costs $700. It doesn't; with beak and netting, it costs $435. More than a TT Rainbow, but a long way from $700.

Edited for typo.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Jason, I'd also say go with the Hex Long. I've got some experience with the Hex Plus, and at 6'3 I sort of "just" fit, and I must sleep towards the front to make it work. No personal experience with the Long but from what I hear, the slight difference in shape has a substantial impact on living space. Not sure where Mik came up with $700 because the cost of the tent (with screen and beak) is $435.

Another route is the LightHeart Gear SoLong6, which is a nice tent and can also fit two people who don't mind getting cozy. Heavier, but also less expensive. I know Judy has done at least one custom SoLong 6 in Cuben… but I hate to think what the cost would be.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

I appologise it seems I made a mistake regarding the pricing. At around $400 I might actually order one myself :)

Edit: I think the $435 leaves out the stakes, stuff sack, groundsheet and tent pole. By the time I ship it here in Oz I'm paying a fair bit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools