Topic

looking for down booties with…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I am looking for an updated down bootie. What I would like is:

low rise or slipper height
water resistant down (or primaloft) insulation
bottom with some traction (better than just plain cordora nylon with dots of silicon)
light / compressible.

Alternatively, I would be happy with something that would go over shoes/sandals, e.g. sort of a foot quilt like some of the biking booties on the market.

Any suggestions?

The back story is that this year have have doing trips wearing primarily either luna sandals or 5 fingers shoes. When I am moving, even when it's cold, my feet are fine. If I am standing around in the evening, and the temp drops to <=30F, my toes are getting cold. On solo trips this isn't an issue because I don't stand around… I am moving or I am getting under my quilt. On trips with groups though, there can be several hours in the evening. I am getting tied of my feet getting cold.

–Mark

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedAug 20, 2013 at 2:48 pm

The answer I found was goosefeet gear’s down socks with overfill (3oz) combined with the waterproof over booties with toughtek soles (5oz). While the website doesn’t indicate it yet, Ben gave me the option of using DownTek water resistant down in the booties. They are toasty warm and the soles are quite grippy.

–Mark

Dena Kelley BPL Member
PostedAug 20, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Those look like my Feathered Friends down booties. From your first post, I was thinking you wanted something that was lower, more like slipper height. I love my down booties. I wear them as sleep socks. The overboot I'm not that crazy about because the down sock slips around inside of it. In a flat camp it would be fine.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedAug 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm

yes, they are a like the feathered friend and the western mountaineering booties. Would have liked something a bit lower, but ok. Yes, there is a bit of slipping around on the inside… I am about to put a beed of silicon on the booties and the inside of over booties to see if that is a enough for non-flat camps. Do like the insulation and outers separate. The best booties I have used from a traction perspective (though not as warm or light) were the montrail bivouac booties.

–mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...