Topic

Sierra Trainheads without Quotas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra Trainheads without Quotas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am taking a large group of folks (mostly new / inexperienced backpackers) out the weekend after labor day. I am looking for a trailhead in the sierras which doesn't have a quota. In the past I have used Saddlebag Lake just the other side of Tioga Pass, but some of the people on this trip have been there before so I would like to take them somewhere new if I can. Ideally the destination will have:

no quota trailhead
    have some classic sierra scenery… big views, rugged exposed granite, etc
    less than 5 hours drive from palo alto
    route that's 10-20 miles with say less that 2k elevation gain
    a lake / stream with a fair amount of camping space around the half way point
    car camping near the trailhead

Suggestions?

–Mark

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Mark,

You might want to consider Emigrant Wilderness.

1) It doesn't have a trail head quota
    2) It is roughly 4 hours from Palo Alto
    3) You can create loops – for example out of Crabtree TH – that are in the range of 10 to 20 miles. For example: Crabtree TH – Camp Lake – Piute Lake – Gem Lake – Groundhog Meadow – Grouse Lake – Crabtree TH would be around 18 miles. Having views, granite and only 2K of climb is hard. This loop would have around 3.5K of climb.
    4) Gem Lake would be the halfway point of the 18 miles loop and offers a fair amount of camping spots
    5) The Crabtree Camp trailhead offers restrooms and allows you to camp the night before/after you hike.

Have fun out there!

Manfred

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hiked up there last weekend. Absolutely beautiful.

We left from Aspen Meadow and the owners of the horse place there sell cold drinks and will let you use a shower for a couple bucks, which makes the ride home a lot more pleasant.

Stop by Andy's Mountain Grill in Mi-Wuk Village on your way home. Killer burgers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools