Topic

Durable Alternative to Innov8 Terroc 330?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2013 at 11:27 am

I just returned from doing a section of the PCT from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite on a pair of relatively new Terroc 330s, which are the same model of shoe that I took on the JMT in 2011.

On both trips, the plastic midsole shank pushed through the rubber sole of the shoe and the soft tread compound was destroyed/torned up by the granite of the Sierras.

My heels were also spliting and starting to show the plastic shank.

I thought that my experience on the JMT was unique, but on this shorter trip, I had the same failures.

In part, I know that how I walk is part of the problem.

I am a "toe walker", which means that on things like going up granite stair cases/step, I tend to take steps where I am the "ball" of my foot just behind the big toes….if you take martial arts…I am landing on the ball of the foot where you strike targets when kicking with the toes pulled back.

Odd way to think about it, I walk as if I were in high heels…I guess. (Perhaps I have a future in being a drag queen…LOL).

Anyway, the way that I walk is putting a lot of pressure on that spot and has pushed that plastic mid sole shank through the bottom of my shoe.

I had to change how I was walking on the trail/granite steps to land with a flat foot vs. landing on the ball of my feet with each step.

That said, I clearly need a more durable shoe specifically for the conditions of the Sierras. (Not a problem wtih these shoes when I am hiking in the East Bay where it is just rolling hills and clay soil…no granite to chew up my shoes combined with my funny walking style).

Anyway, hoping for communite suggestions for a trail runner that is similarly light weight by more durable than the Terroc 330's I have been using. (I have used the Innov8 190's or 195's a few years back that has a different sole but the same "last" as the Terroc).

I wear a 8.5 US Size Men's shoe….I could go with wide shoes, but that might be too loose….where the Terroc 330's fit okay, but a little snug.

Thanks for reading my long rant and I hope that I explained my problem well.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Later, I can see about posting photos of my shoes to show the damage and maybe a photo of my foot position that I was trying to describe.

Tony

Sara Marchetti BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Yeah, lighter shoes like Innov8 (which feel like ballet shoes to me) definitely tend to get you on your toes more. Going away from such a shoe should naturally get you more in the mid foot.

Have you ever heard of pose running or chi running? This is a popular style of running (though I imagine the principles can be applied to walking/hiking) that gets you to run on your mid foot, by leaning into your stride thereby allowing your foot to fall directly beneath you instead of in front of you. This combined with quickly lifting your foot off the ground instead of letting it linger ,where you are more susceptible to rolling your ankle, make up the typical chi/pose stride. It feels a little weird at first, but with a little practice it works out great. I these techniques all the time when trail running or fastpacking. If you do neither, there still might be some part of the technique that you can apply to your style of locomotion.

Good luck!

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

Sara,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I will have to see if I can find a Youtube video of the technique that you are talking about.

Might help, but would be nice to find a shoe that works with my natural style of walking.

Appreciate your suggestion.

Quest goes on.

Tony

Sara Marchetti BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 11:53 am

Minimalist footwear by nature tends to put you more on your toes. If you are this way, with even casual shoes off the trails, then I fear that only a change in the mechanics of your gait will help. If this is more of a function of your shoe then try less of a minimalist shoe, which should naturally move you back into the mid foot.

Just as a small pitch, as I've tried a lot of trail shoes over the years of trail running, I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadia. On another thread I've been extolling the virtues of the Hoka Mufate, which is the complete opposite of a minimalist shoe (in some ways). The later shoe is a champ in rocky terrain and since its sort of a platform shoe, I can't help but think that it will get you off your toes. Both are very popular trail running shoes for rocky conditions. I'm not 100% sure how the later translates into backpacking as I've never backpacked in mine. Maybe I'll take them out this weekend and report back to you!

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Sara,

Thanks for the suggestion on the brand.

Been looking online at trail running shoes and it sounds like there are shoes out there that don't have the plastics shank that the Innov8s have.

Maybe going with a shoe without that plastic shank will be a feature for me to look out for.

Will check out Brooks and the Hoka Mufate.

I only run if I am chased by someone or something, but figure that the reviews for trail runners should be a good source of info for me. :)

-Tony

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

"I only run if I am chased by someone or something, but figure that the reviews for trail runners should be a good source of info for me."

Tony, you don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun Jeremy when you both run from the bear.

–B.G.–

PostedAug 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I haven't bought them yet, but when I took a look at the Altra Lone Peak's two weeks ago, they felt very solid, with very tough soles. I was quite surprised, actually. Compared to my Terroc 330's they seemed a lot more durable and tough.

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Bob,

Problem is that Jeremy is actually fit…he runs regularly.

Which means I am the bear food on the trips.

Probably why he keeps asking me to go on trips with him.

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion….will check them out.

My basic and quick research has me looking at the New Balance Leadville 1210's.

Pain in the butt to replace shoes that have worked for me in the past. *sigh*

-Tony

diego dean BPL Member
PostedAug 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I have the 330's and although I never had durability issues I found I needed something wider yet. I just got the Altra Superior and they feel like they were made just for my foot shape. I tried the Leadville 1210 and they were too narrow. Not sure how the superiors will hold up, the two strings along the side have me worried they might catch something and break, but we shall see.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...