Topic

The battery life for spot connect seems kind of pathetic…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The battery life for spot connect seems kind of pathetic…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=1700&action=showEntry&data=1330

this is a very confusing battery life matrix.

I can basically only send 180 messages before it runs out of power?

Granted I don't need to send many messages. But shouldn't I be able to keep it off and only turn it on 1x a day to check my messages? That would allow you to use it nearly in perpetuity.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

First off, you do realize that you won't be turning on your Spot Connect to check your messages because you can only send messages, you won't be receiving any.

Secondly, since a set of AA Lithiums only weigh one ounce for a set, I'm not sure why you would worry about running out of batteries? Your Smart Phone battery will likely die long before the Spot Connect.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

My experience is that if I send a check-in message once a day, that I never run down the battery, even after 3 months. I use lithium batteries, and then put in new ones at that point, using the old ones for another purpose. I periodically will also use the track progress feature, and don't notice any adverse impact on battery life, even using it for several days. 180 messages is a lot of messages to send for me using this device. The reason I put in fresh batteries every three months is so that, in an emergency, I am not adversely impacted by an almost depleted battery. I want to make sure the batteries don't age too much from infrequent use before I really need them to perform their primary function: keeping me safe.
    Jim

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hmmm….

The Spot won't keep you safe. Only you can keep yourself safe. If you get yourself into a situation requiring rescue, then it might help; assuming the batteries aren't dead, there is no electrical malfunction, signals can be sent, you don't break it, you don't lose it, or you don't have stray electrons bouncing around inside of it.

:)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think the best thing about communication device is to let people know you're okay so they don't worry about you

And if you get into trouble, SAR will have a good idea where to look

Chance of requiring SAR is small, but always possible to slip and break leg or something, or get hit by meteor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools