Topic

backpacking trip FOOD

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition backpacking trip FOOD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    michelle Annett

@andrewz

On the 22nd of this month me and a friend will be doing a back packing trip up through Yosemite National Park. Not any specific trail we are just charting our own with maps. We will be leaving that Thursday during night time (i have work) and will be coming home Sunday. The trail is in total 17 miles one way so round trip 34 so about 7-10 miles a day. I have plenty of room for food in my pack seeing how we are just taking the basics so i was wondering if you guys can shoot out some ideas of good food to bring for the trip :-). I am just trying to get more ideas and variety. Thanks for you help.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Go to the Freezer Bag Cooking website for tasty food and easy to do meals.

michelle Annett

@andrewz

will do just wanting ideas of things to bring. thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Mmmm…potato chips! For some reason I lately have been craving potassium on hikes, and kettle cooked ones are so good!

Burritos are of course one of my favorites as well, or doing it as a burrito bowl and having tortilla chips with it.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Food tastes run the gamut. For a four-day trip, you do have the benefit of bringing a few more "comfort" foods because weight won't be as huge of a consideration. I'd tell anyone to mix it up and bring stuff they actually like!

Here are some things I bring:

High quality chocolate, meaning, chocolate generally produced overseas. I am sure there is great domestic chocolate, but generally the quality is better out of Europe.

For dinner, I generally bring whatever is my whim, but for something really good I do like Mary Jane's Farm line of organic backpacker products. The quality is a notch above all others, in my estimation. Plus, she sells in bulk sizes which drives down the price considerably. The meals are generally instant, and it makes it easy to prep and clean up.

http://www.backcountryfood.org/

Personally, I gravitate toward the Mac-and-Cheese which uses white cheddar, not that yellow stuff you get from Kraft. I bring along one of those tuna fish foil pouches you can get at the store, throw it in, and there you have it, tuna casserole. If I am really fancy, I might bring a few olives as well.

Another fine producer of bulk foods and instant foods is adventure foods. I've had various degrees of success with most of their stuff, but they do make a bakepacker-friendly line of goods, and they do sell in bulk. Plus they do not load their foods full of preservatives.
    http://www.adventurefoods.com

Other things I like to bring:

Nuts. Good source of fats and usually they are salted. You can get nuts in a trail mix

Dried fruit – mangoes are excellent, although I prefer the kind they don't add too much sugar too. Don't overdo the dried fruit as certain types can do wonders on the intestines.

Energy bars – Some are loaded with sugars, some aren't. Choose wisely. But I like em for a quick snack and you can stuff them into your pockets.

Tea/coffee/hot chocolate – On a cold or rainy evening, a hot drink can do wonders to lift the spirits

Instant oatmeal – Speaking of cold, the prospect of a hot breakfast can at least make getting out of sleeping bag on a cold morning tolerable

High quality jerky – Turkey, salmon, beef, your preference

Miso soup – Again, keeping a theme with hot is great. Miso soup isn't really all that helpful in terms of calories or nutrition, but it's warm and friendly. Plus you can get the instant cubes in tiny sizes.

A lot of people like Instant Ramen products or Lipton Instant Noodles. Some of it is good, some of it loaded with fat and salt. Again, this isn't necessarily bad if you are backpacking, just something to consider.

Depending on the trip, the length, and whether or not we end up passing through or near a campground or some other place with a recycles bin, I'd generally bring a high quality bottled microbrew with me. And my hiking partner, I'd bring one for him. Extra weight, most certainly. But there is nothing like sitting in camp, watching the sun set on some beautiful mountain lake, and partaking in a nice refreshing adult beverage. Of course, you must pack your bottle out and of course, you gotta be careful with the glass.

Four days? No problem. You shouldn't have to carry too much weight for that trip to make a bottle beer a reality.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Dirk

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

speaking of bottled microbrew… I recently went on a trip to calaveras big trees in california with my brother in law and his brother. In the middle of the woods, there is a tavern brewery type pub. We were going to have dehydrated food for dinner, but decided we couldn't pass this up. Long story short, they sold their beer (which was FANTASTIC by the way) in half growlers and growlers. We each got a half growler of our favorite brew and took it along to camp with us. Yeah, it was NOT ultralight at all, but drinking a high quality brew at sundown around a fire with a hot meal (they made german style sausages there too, I got a sampler plate!) was priceless! Plus the growler made a really cool souveneer.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Don't you love the search function? :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools