Topic

Soto canister stove manintenance?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
PostedAug 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Just got back from 7 days in Whitney area. My trusty Soto canister stove was acting up. Would burn its normal 'purr' then cut out like it went out, then back to normal 'purr'… then cut out… etc etc… Like there is some clog it is trying to pass though?

Any help would be appreciated… its there some periodic maintenance or cleaning of jets that needs to be done?

thanks,

Bill D

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 5, 2013 at 9:27 pm

"I especially like their gardening flamethrower."

I have a gardening flamethrower. No chemicals. Weeds tend to grow back, but it works on some.

Problem is, occasionally something starts burning out of control. A garden hose turned on and ready to go is good.

On the news they talked about someone who burned their house down using a flamer. I don't know if insurance covered it. Maybe they were thinking of charging him with some crime?

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2013 at 3:05 am

Sounds like dirt has got into the Pressure Regulator jet holes, inside the capsule PR. AFAIK, you can't access these for cleaning. Awkward! (One of the problems with being too complex in the field.)

About all I can suggest is to use very well filtered compressed air and to try to blow the dirt out. (An inverted canister of cheap butane on a warm day might also work, but this must be done way outside! You would need to open and close the valve a few times. IF this is the case.

Alternately, maybe the dirt has got to the jet itself, and that needs cleaning. I forget how you remove the burner (to access the jet) on one of these – or whether that is even possible.

Cheers

PostedAug 6, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks guys…

Still… would be great to hear from someone who actually cleaned the jet or regulator and cured the sputtering problem…

Bill D

Mark Montag BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Silly comment – but is your stove head tight to the canister?? I've found a tight(er) snug to the canister to make a difference…..Also – try a different canister…..

To date my Soto has been "wonderfully" flawless even in quite adverse conditions…..

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2013 at 5:35 pm

When it cut out and then back to normal, did it stay lit?

That wouldn't be so bad, just takes a little longer, and is aesthetically displeasing

PostedAug 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Mark, Jerry:
yes, it was snug to the canister… tight…
and yes, it cuts out and sounds like it has gone out, but then starts burning again.

While I agree that it still works and does it's job with the cut-out… I'm not happy about taking a stove that is having problems on an upcoming 7 day trip to the high Sierra next week… as it could be the beginnings of something worse… If I can't get it fixed, my inclination would to buy a new one…

bill d

PostedAug 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Regretfully all the Soto instructions have to say about the problems you are seeing is, "Send to Soto for inspection/maintenance." You might try PMing the stove guy on the forums. He and Roger Caffin are likely the only two to have totally disassembled the stove.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I agree you want to fix it

At least it won't fail and leave you stoveless on a trip

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm

You only have the one stove? I have trouble deciding which stove to take. :)
Duane

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...