I know a bear can isn't required. Are bears an issue 1) in general this Fall and 2) with properly hung food specifically?
Topic
Four Pass Loop Bear Protection
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Review the official website and call the rangers. I hear there are food handling requirements, either canister or proper food hang.
Yes, bears are an issue in general. When I went 2 years ago they had just killed a bear 2 days prior for some attacks. Not sure how food storage played into those attacks though. I believe you won't have a problem if you follow good bear protocols. Staying away from popular sites would help as well.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5422606.pdf
That doesn't apply to backpacking the FPL. It's for campgrounds and day use areas.
I haven't had any issues there but have seen posted warnings. I've always bear bagged there, but I won't carry a bear canister unless required. Properly hanging your food will be fine.
If you go in the fall check hunting season dates. Blaze orange might be a good idea. I hiked on the CT during bear season. Needless to say I didn't see anything.
In backpacking the FPL, some do camp in designated dispersed camping sites near Crater Lake and Snowmass Lake. The ranger I spoke with today said you would be ticketed if caught in those type locations and will get a lecture if camping in other areas.
If you don't like the answer a ranger gives you, just call back and ask another. :)
Seriously though, neither Crater or Snowmass Lakes are listed in Exhibit A so a ticket wouldn't hold up anyway. It's very specific as to what sites are affected. But I think bear bagging is just common sense. Or a canister if you want to carry one.
My buddy and a friend were there last week and the pics were spectacular. Tons of wildflowers and very green. Should be a great trip.
Become a member to post in the forums.

