So this is my first time posting, I have been reading and researching on this sight for over a year now. I figured its time to contribute and show you all what you have inspired me to do :)I have made 3 hammocks, but they are the basic design nothing special. So today I thought I would share the backpack I made for a NOLS trip I went on this last June. Took me about 3 months of planning and figuring out what I wanted to do and how to do it, and then about a month of construction.
This is a picture of it while I was using it on the trip. It is not an ultralight pack since I needed to be able to carry 60lbs in it for the trip, so its around 110 or more liters. It weighs, if i remember correctly, 4lbs 5oz. Which I call a success seeing as how most bags in that size I look at online were about 5-6bls. I used xpac for most of the pack, and some ballistic material I had laying around for the back panel. I also used bamboo for the frame, I have two vertical pieces on the outside and an arch on the inside. Well It wont let me do anymore pictures, umm so I guess I will add more later. Thank you all for your help, So much good information on the forum, thank you!
Topic
First Backpack and First Post
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.







Sweet So it let me upload more than one now, those are pretty much all the pictures that exist at the moment. The Pack held up very well on the 23 day trip. I had a buckle break, but that was about it. There are some minor changes I will make. I have a semester course with NOLS coming up in September, I want to add a brain and maybe redo the pockets, those were a last minute add on, not much thought went into them. I'm also about to start a sleeping bag for the course, I think I have most of it planned just need to decide on materials and maybe do a small prototype.
Impressive work! I like the use of bamboo; it's a great material for that application. Can you show or tell us more about your design process?
I sadly didn't take any pictures while I was making the pack, I did most of it at work and they don't allow cameras in my building. But, that being said I might have some sketches I can track down later. (I'm at work right now)Basically the way I attached the bamboo was by sewing on 3" webbing onto the back panel making a channel to slide it into. I did this on the top of the back panel and on the back of the hip belt, which is removable. The Lumbar pad is sewn into the base of the pack and flips over the hip belt to velcro it in place. I hope that makes sense.
On the inside I sewed channels into the sides of the back panel to slide a bamboo arch into, and I sewed on a flap at the top to tuck the top of the bamboo into. Basically the rest of the pack is just two side panels, a front panel and a roll down top. For the top I hemmed in some plastic to give it a little bit of form, the plastic was a thicker version of the stuff used to bind stacks of news papers together.
For the shoulder straps I saw a bag online, that had the shoulders go up and around to pad you're back, so I gave that a try instead of sewing them into the top of the bag. I really like the way it turned out, I velcro'd them on the back panel and they don't move around or make noise once the packs on, to much friction. It also made it an easy way for me to protect my back from the bamboo. I sewed on 3" webbing channels for the velcro to be attached to and they are a path for the bamboo to go through too so the shoulder pads are always over the bamboo. I have webbing coming off the shoulder pads to attach under the hip belt so I can adjust for torso height.
bamboo turns out to be really easy to work with, using an axe and a hammer you can easily and accurately split it. I did not resin my bamboo, reasoning being that I think it will last long enough on its own. If I ever need to replace it, which I don't think will be for at least a few years, its easy to replace. I fired hardened the bamboo with my camp stove, and also that's how I was able to make an arch for the inner part of my bag. I cut the bamboo in half twice so I had a much thinner piece of bamboo, and then marked with a sharpie the section I need to bend into a someone 90 degree curve. I then put it over the fire and started applying pressure, after a certain point it starts to give and can be manipulated to a certain point. I basically made an inverted U.
As I said earlier the designing took me like 3 months. I went to REI repeatedly and just look at bags and how they were sewn together, I scoured these forums looking at like every backpack post, and looked all over the web for anything I could find on making your own backpack. This was my first experience with designing a backpack so I really had little idea what I wanted. I quickly figured out what kind of features I wanted on my backpack, and I tailored it towards the NOLS trip I was making it for, so size was a predetermined thing, it had to be big enough for them to let me use it on the course. But, I had no idea how people sewed the backpacks together and so looking at forums and REI gave me a good look into that part, plus various sewing websites to learn different techniques for sewing. Previously I had only down a few hammocks so I could hem that was about it. I made one prototype of the main bag just to see if I would be able to make the curved bottom instead of having a square pack and sewing on a bottom panel. The front piece attached to the sides and the back panel, so it acts at the bottom also. Well I have to do some work right now, thank you for commenting! Hope I made sense and answered some of the questions you may have had.
That actually made quite a bit of sense. Thanks for the details, and I look forward to seeing any sketches you might find.
Looks awesome Blake.
Did you curve the two main stays to fit your lumbar? If not, was that an issue?
The torso seems way too long in those side pics of you wearing it – certainly not carrying any load on the shoulders! Was that on purpose?
Daniel,
I searched and I can't find any of my sketches, we will just say my fiance must have thrown them out :/
But, really all they were was a bunch of boxes with labels and measurements. Maybe I will find them one day.
David,
The bamboo I did not shape to my lumbar, I had no problem with them just being straight. The foam I had is a very firm one and that may have been a deciding factor.
Michael,
The shoulder straps actually did bear weight. The pics might be kinda hard to tell, but I'm guessing your looking at the black straps that are adjusters for keeping the top of the bag from leaning back. The shoulder straps go right over my shoulders and down into my back padding. I was able to walk around without my hip belt on, but I do prefer more weight on my hips than shoulders. The pictures are hard to tell since the back of the shoulder straps are black, the back panels black and the webbing is too, sorry for that.
Oh and the picture of me with the backpack on while in the snow, the black hood from my jacket might be confusing, it kinda looks like it could be the shoulder straps. There is a faint red streak which is red webbing that you can kinda see, that's where my shoulder straps are going.
>The torso seems way too long in those side pics of you wearing it – certainly not carrying any load on the shoulders! Was that
> on purpose?
I think you may be seeing his load lifters and camelback hose as his sholder straps… If you look closely, the shoulder straps look to be right where they should be.
Become a member to post in the forums.

