The local university has some open slots for an August trip on the Green River through Desolation Canyon. I am mainly considering it b/c the total trip cost is less than I would pay just for gas to drive there myself. Some thoughts:
Potential Cons
Experience on a previous university-run trip was only adequate. It was disappointment with that trip that jumpstarted my motivation to become self-sufficient and take trips by myself. However, that was a backpacking trip a few years ago, which isn't necessarily indicative of how competent the program is at planning float trips. And different people will be leading this trip, no doubt.
As a result of that previous trip, I think I might have elevated myself out of the demographic these trips are aimed at. The informational sheet was very light on, uh, information, and while the leaders are the leaders and trip planning is not my responsibility, I'm also not comfortable not knowing the details. I was very, "Okay, sure!" on the other trip, and it bit me in the butt psychologically when I realized I really, really did not like being out in the woods relying on a plan I didn't know inside and out. In other words, "trust the leader" is not something I'm naturally good at. But I also don't want to seem like a know-it-all jerk.
It won't be fast and light, and I don't know how much of my own stuff I'll be able to use. The coup de grace would be getting to use my packraft, but apart from that I know they'll be using enclosed tents, which in summer on a sandbar should be a crime.
Potential Pros
Cheap. Place I've never been before that sounds pretty cool. Multi-day trip. No permit issues. Good weather. Someone else to carry the mandatory fire plate and wag bags. Don't have to drive myself. Also, cheap.
Potential Unknowns
How good a float this actually is. The info sheet says "very challenging in kayaks and canoes" and the BLM site says "open canoes are not recommended", but the outfitter sites I found describe it as "easy" and "family friendly." The gage at Green River is currently about 1000 cfs, and the BLM site mentions 750-900 cfs as about the minimum floatable flow.
Boat choices. I guess they're taking one large raft and some canoes and kayaks, and people can switch in and out as they please.
Has this been run in a packraft before? I searched trip reports here and at packrafting.org with no success. If I went, and if I took my raft, it would be kinda cool to be the first.
Other group members. Awful? Amazing? Who knows.
I'm torn on this, obviously. On paper it could be a great trip, but in reality it could be a week in the hot sun on a flat river with annoying people in stuffy tents. Has anyone done this trip that has advice?

