Topic

2014 Michigan UP XC Ski Tour

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedNov 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm

What's your take on the minimum ski requirements? Metal edged and >60mm waist? I've done a lot of alpine touring, but my current AT setup is way too heavy for this. I could borrow some XC gear, but I don't want to bring something inadequate.

I'm interested, but it's pretty far (~10 hr drive) and I'm not sure I have the equipment, so I'm more "possible" than "probable". I could only make it during university reading week (Feb 15-23). It does sound awesome.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedNov 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Rog,

I am back in Scotland for a wedding for those dates, I am stil very much a novice on XC skis though :-(

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedNov 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hi Rog,

I have been lucky enough to get out on 4 trips in the past 2 months, just waiting on some more snow to get the skis out.

That would be great if we can get a trip in the New Year, Ike J and I trying to get a weeked in before Xmas.

Btw, its Simon who is getting married.

Ike Jutkowitz BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I'm liking the sound of this. Keep us posted. Any thought about extending it a little further through pictured rocks, or would the need for permits get in the way?

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

"The days in the winter up there are pretty short. Wasn't sure how much people would want to ski in the dark. I have no problem with it. … I am hoping to test out my latest Christmas gift on this trip… the Alpina Alaska NNN BC ski boots."

Hmmm. You would probably enjoy my christmas present on this trip as well….

stove

PostedDec 3, 2013 at 11:47 am

This sounds fun! I'm not sure if my fitness and skiing ability are up to it, but I'm considering it. I have Rossi BC70's which seem to be well-suited to this.

What is the terrain like? I'm familiar with some of the trails in the Porkies.

Would skins be something to consider?

What do you think of using a pulk?

What if I wanted to do a shorter trip? By that I mean is there anything to consider beyond me planning the exit point and arranging transportation?

PostedDec 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi rOg,

Thanks! It sounds like my kind of fun! The colder the better! :) I'll assess my distance skiing endurance as soon as the snow gets to me, or I get to it. Then, I'll let you know if I plan to attend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...