Topic

right or wrong side, tyvek 1443r

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedAug 2, 2013 at 11:39 am

long time watcher, first time poster.

I just received my shipment of 1443r clothing type tyvek, which i plan to make a bivy out of. Im wondering if there is a right or wrong side to put facing up? one side has all the little perforations and im curious if it is only "breathable" one direction.

heres a link to the stuff i bought

PostedAug 2, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hey alex I just recently got done making a bivy out of tyvek 1460c, that I grabbed from quest outfitters. If 1443r is like 1460c then you'll notice that one side is slightly softer or "fuzzier" this is the side that I have on the inside of my bivy and it worked well for breathability. Good luck with your project!

PostedAug 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

The breathability of Tyvek is bidirectional, not one way. Tyvek is made by placing polyethylene plastic fibers onto a conveyor Belt and then squeezed between two rolers. The pressure from the rollers causes the fibers to bond together into a sheet.

According to Dupont Tyvek 1443R is not perforated. Dupont does sell 16XX Tyveks that are perforated. You don't want to use perforated fabric if you want water resistance. I purchased 1443 from the same place.I haven't used it yet but it appears to be Embossed not perforated. The other side is smooth.

I am guessing it would be better to have the smooth side facing out. water will probably roll off the smooth side faster than the Embossed side.

Mathhew, how did the 1460 work out? My plane is to practice with 1443 and then if that works out OK to make a final using 1460 due to it's higher hdrostatic head rating than 1434. However the only source I forund for 1460. it only sold full sized roles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...