Topic

Has anyone seen these buckles for sale?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Has anyone seen these buckles for sale?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Hardy
    Spectator

@alpinetherapy

Locale: North Carolina

Hello, I am looking to purchase these "load locking" buckles, but I cant find any US retailers. I was hoping someone here has come across them before. I think they provide a real eloquent alternative over the classic male/female clip buckles. They are used primarily on alpine climbing packs. The photo is a pack from Blue Ice, a grown cottage company based out of Chamonix, FR. Lowe alpine packs also have a patented version of this buckle which they do sell, but I've only found it from their UK site; but with the exchange rate and international shipping, Im hoping to find them in the US. Thanks for any help.

gh

Thomas Vree

@exploriment

Locale: Niagara Escarpment
    Gregory Hardy
    Spectator

@alpinetherapy

Locale: North Carolina

Excellent, these will definitely work, thank you!

Tanner M

@tan68

bra hooks are more similar to your picture.
    These don't have the ladder lock.
    They are sold for bathing suits or whichever things.
    I used some in place of side release buckles to attach side compression straps.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Thanks, the previously posted source looked pretty good, but was only available in 1" sizes. Your bra strap idea led to a great many other sizes all the way down to 1/4".

Here's a link to a company I found that sells a variety of sizes. I know nothing about the company nor can I vouch in any way for their service.

Bonus points, the company below indicates that the white nylon-coated metal hooks can be dyed with RIT, might be interesting for some MYOG projects.

http://www.sewsassy.com/BraProducts/braringsslideshooks.html#anchornyloncoatedbrahooks

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

Bonus is that most men can unbuckle those hooks with one hand in the dark.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Bonus is that most men can unbuckle those hooks with one hand in the dark."

And advanced stages of inebriation, leading to the concept of the "coyote date."

Tanner M

@tan68

I have found and used 3/4". Hadn't really thought to hunt other sizes. The nylon-for-dying hooks do sound fun. I made note of the hooks with the built in ladder lock as well.

I shifted into second gear in a way that caused the car to squiggle a bit. One girl had to refasten a clothing.

No hands :^)

alex hansen

@holden425

ive been searching all over for source on a 1/2 inch ladder locking G-hook. found the 1/2 inch size on sew sassy but they dont ladder lock. any other sources?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia
    alex hansen

@holden425

i found those, but the strap i want to put them on is 1/2 inch, guess i will have to remove the strap and replace it with a 3/8. i was already planning to use a 3/4 on the hipbelt of my pack

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I've used these 1" buckles: http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/crash_buckle.html

They're aluminum, so much lighter than the ITW G-Hooks mentioned above. Metolius guarantees them for life, so they should be pretty strong.

I'm looking for the same thing in a ladder lock (without the hook), if anybody has a source. Example:

http://www.weare.de/fjaellraeven-foldsack-no-bag-gruen-fid-48209.html

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Andrew,

http://www.strapworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSA1FBK

Strapworks has what you are looking for in black anodized metal.

Copied and pasted from their web page.

"These 1" Strap Adjusters have been flat black anodized to keep down shine as well as helping to inhibit rust."

Unfortunately they seem to be made of steel as opposed to aluminum because of the phrase "… helping to inhibit rust."

Hope this helps,

Newton ;-)

Redacted k
    Spectator

@some-schmo

I have seen something like that on a mountainsmith pack. I think Kifaru may use them as well.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

Reviving this old thread to add my 2c with the ITW G-Hooks.

Ordered a pair to be used on a bicycle bag, and been quite disappointed by the very poor grip of the webbing. If not using a tri-glide (or similar) to keep the webbing flat before the g-hook buckle, it only needs to move the webbing of a small angle to loose grip.
    Very disappointing, I won;t trust this buckle unless in a particular situation where it always stays flat, or there’s no need for adjusting and can be sewn.

There is a variant, called “wavelock” which seems better in that respect, though is not easy to find, at least in UK

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve got something like the photo in the OP on my laptop bag I take to work and it attaches to a daisy chain for adjustability. It’s probably my favorite bag closure ever.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

P&P to UK is silly high, a dozen of little items like this will go in a simple letter size, can’t see why this should cost 20-25 bucks?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I’m not a big fan of the ITW G-Hook version, the aluminum ones much better. I spent quite a while searching for suppliers and ended up ordering a couple thousand anodized buckles from China for our frame bags.

To get just a couple you can order from Metolius:

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/crash_buckle.html

Unfortunately for lightweight backpacking purposes the 3/4″ version would be much better than the 1″, and I don’t have a good source for those in small quantities.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

I got a very similar model off Ebay UK.
    Seems to work better, though it needs to be on a radius of 5-6″ at least, otherwise you’re losing grip on the webbing.

These are the straps with the ITW buckles, with the small radius of a bicycle handlebar the webbing would slide off all the time

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

I haven’t seen them in person but I think Seek Outside offers similar buckles

‘Gatekeeper’ https://seekoutside.com/gatekeeper-set-10-pack/

‘Bachelor Buckles’ https://seekoutside.com/bachelor-buckles-set-of-4/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools