Topic

EXPEDITION: Journey on the Wild Coast (Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable EXPEDITION: Journey on the Wild Coast (Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I will be following this :-)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

You're two brave souls!

Excellent pre-trip ad. I am gladly hooked.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

Thank-you for sharing your trip with us. I look forward to getting regular updates during your trip. I really appreciate the sense of place you've conveyed and the environmental mission.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

> Are you walking back?

Ha! I love it! Best of luck day after tomorrow as you head off on a great and important journey, Erin and Hig.

Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

Is there a gear list posted anywhere? Couldn't see one in the text, and there wasn't any sort of link to a dedicated website.

Thanks.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Kevin I keep looking at your photo. Was that taken in the Mammoth area.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Mike –

We will have a full gear and techniques article in a week or two (maybe this week). Erin and Hig have a lot of interesting homemade gear, and their journey will definitely push the limits of lots of their gear. They also have a lot of gear challenges associated with the large amount of packrafting they plan to do.

Stay tuned!

Don

Robert A Cornah

@rcornah

Hey, can you eskimo roll one of those packrafts??, if not how do you get back in?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I a Seattlite and a kayaker. I've looked at the charts for the Inside Passage many times, wanting to make that trip. The overland/water combination is a great idea. There is so much wild country on the way— all the inlets and bays, streams and rivers and the wildlife.

There is nothing like paddling along and having eagles soar overhead, or floating down the mouth of a river into a bay with the tide and having a seal poke it's head out of the water a few feet away, floating along with you. Then there are the Orcas, the Gray whales, Great Blue herons, puffins, otters, sea lions— it's awesome, in the true meaning of the word. I wanna go too!

Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

Erin here

Infrequently on the internet on this expedition, but I stopped by on my Vancouver B.C. rest day, and thought I'd reply…

Packrafts are quite stable. Nearly impossible (I've heard rumors someone has done it) to eskimo roll, for the same reason they're hard to flip in the first place. Getting in is really easy, though. We set up a clip system to quickly release the pack from the front (the weight makes the raft harder to flip upright) doable while in the water. Then I just flip it back over and climb in – I've ended up back in the boat almost before I noticed I was out of it. No water stays in the boat after flipping, and I can pull the pack back with an attached string.

Looking forward to heading into the mountains tomorrow, and then up the B.C. coast…

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I'm loving this series. Hig & Erin are WAY more adventurous than I will ever be. I particularly liked the bear deterrent flare! Unfortunately, if I were to deploy said flare (spitting mess of acrid smoke and fire) in Idaho this year, I would have a bear deterrent forest fire on my hands!!

I'm also getting more and more interested in packrafts. And BPL should look into those new drysuits for us – maybe a review in the future?

Keep it coming!

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Hi guys

I just read the article again after grazing through it a couple of weeks ago, and I'm amazed I've never heard of the no brainer bear flare idea. I don't live in a bear rich environment, but when you put your mind to it, them old cavemen didn't use pepper spray, it was the acrid smoke and fire that took us off largely off the food chain. I bet the cavemen sure wish for an MLD spinn pyramid.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Does that mean a Roman Candle would work too ;)

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

I have just posted a handful of new photos to the portal page. Many of them have appeared on Erin and Hig's blog already, but not this large.

Also the page now is completely current as far as podcasts go so if your preferred method of listening to Erin and Hig is through the website you have plenty more to listen too.

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Another handful of photos has been posted.

Yes, I realize the blog has more. We hope to add a large number of photos and videos within the next couople of weeks.

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

From time to time, and especially as the data track lengthens, you may get a message from your browser about the script being unresponsive along with a "Continue" and "Cancel" button. This is because the map now supports narly 700 data points including the pink line route which is some 630 points long. We are coming to a point where we may decide to make the track of their route somewhat less precise (though we have all the data) so this happens less often.

Do click Continue to get the complete map.

I've had to reduce the map resolution somewhat. As you can now see the pink line plots every 30 points with a wider minimum separation. You'll still have a great feel for their travels.

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

It's taken a while but I think you'll enjoy the 70 new photos that have just been uploaded. Some you may have seen on Erin and Hig's blog already, but most you haven't.

Enjoy…

Gary Thorne

@dogman

Locale: Midwest

What a great trip report. I was wondering how easy is it to get through Customs with some of the safety gear, one needs? Like a good knife, some meds and cooking gear. I would not want to take a trip like this, with just a 1/2 inch knife or have my titanium tent pegs confiscated, because they might be used to destroy an oil tanker!

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

It's been a while but I think you'll find the wait was worth it. 90 more photos have just gone up covering Erin and Hig's travels pretty much from Ketchikan to Juneau.

** Ken **

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

It's been a while since I've been able to add photos to this page. I've just added 48 more that take you up through the start of November.

** Ken **

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

What's up with Erin and Hig's new MLD shelter?

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's made of Silnylon and looks amazing. But what happened to their original cuben shelter? Was it a case of

-not enough ventilation?
    -simple wear and tear?
    -an accident with the original?
    -just an upgrade?

Also, how many days/miles did they get out of their first shelter?

Does anyone know?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

They now have the MLD Silnylon Mid.

They have done a lot of product testing for me. They are awesome.

(Never was a Cuben version that they used.)

First Spinntex Mid:
    An EARLY proto way before I put them on the website for sale…They used it about 90 nights. A zipper failure was starting- The zipper was a tiny one and with all the sand, etc. everyday it was starting to wear at the bottom and so I sent them a second Spinntex Mid before it totally failed. If you have been following them closely- you know they don't exactly baby their gear either!

Second Spinntex Mid:
    They used it for about 30-40 days in some of the the worst of the storms they have seen. It had lots of small improvements over the Proto, mainly a bit taller and a much better vent plus a beefier zipper.

It was way cold and Hig tripped (or something like that) and one of the secondary tieouts point guylines got super yanked and caused a fabric rip. (I now use even beefier reinforcement patchs at the secondary tieouts too. I also suggest folks use a short loops of bungee on side panel and secondary tieouts . -It's really light Spinaker after all…) I think they were gonna sew it back up but I offered to send a Silnylon version for the rest of the trip into the harshest and more remote part of the trek.

Third Mid: The one pictured. I was out of Spinntex at the time and sent the Silnylon version. So far after about 35-45 days I've not heard of any issues. I also thought they might like a bit of Yellow in the Mid! With all the pics of the snow, I think the silnylon is better for when you have to dig it out everyday for day after day. -In that one pic the snow is freaking deep.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Playing Erin and Hig's March 18, 2008 (Illamna, AK) podcast in Fox Fire 2.0.0.13.

The undocumented feature? Scroll down to a point where the Audio Updates is no longer shown. And… the broadcast stops. Same behavior when I switch windows.

Annoying :{

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

It had lots of small improvements over the Proto, mainly a bit taller

Ron, care to elaborate on reason to be taller? headroom? better snow shedding? Something else?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools