Topic

Tent recomendations please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent recomendations please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new tent for backpacking in both Greece and the UK.

It'll be used 30% of the time by me and my dog (Jack Russell, sleeps in the tent) the rest of the time with 2 people and the dog.
    I'm really struggling to find exactly what i want, my ideal would be (in no particular order)

Outer first (for when it's raining in England)
    Double porch (for good ventilation in Greece)
    Under 3kg
    Double walled (condensation in the UK)
    Free standing (pegging in Greece is often a challenge due to mostly being rocky)
    3 season
    Porch big enough to cook in (rainy England)
    Easy to put up (only have 1 arm)
    Tight weave inner mesh (Scottish midges)

No real budget but it'd be nice if i could find something suitable for say under £300.
    I do use a hiking pole so could use that, but i have absolutely no preference between needing a hiking pole or if the tent comes with poles that need to be used.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers
    Mark

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out the TarpTents by Henry Shires (tarptent.com). There are several models that would meet your requirements.

I just got the Double Rainbow with seam sealing service and the optional liner to make it double walled for condensation ($330 USD before shipping). It has two doors/vestibules and can be set up in porch mode (look at pictures). Two plus a small dog should fit just fine. There's also the Stratospire 2 which is roomier and uses trekking poles to set up.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For free standing I would recommend the Tarp Tent Scarp 2, Terra Nova or Hilleberg tents would do also but would be more expensive.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Thanks guys.

I have the Rainbow 2 on my short list, but thought it a bit tight for 2 and a dog?

There are a few things i a willing to compromise on, so on my list of wants, what's one or two things that are narrowing the field the most?

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I've had the Rainshadow 2 for about a month or so, and it will definitely fit two and a JRT. I've also observed that it sets up fine with a single hiking pole, even though it is always shown with two.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

The TT Double Rainbow is definitely too small to comfortably with a dog. My dog likes to sleep between us. You COULD fit a small dog at your feet in a DR, but it would be cramped. The TT Rainshadow is better, but condensation will be a problem in stormy weather. I think that the TT Cloudburst 3 would be the way to go as it has double entrances, a tunnel construction (so less chance of condensation on your bags), and I believe you can get a liner!

Corbin Camp

@heycorb

Locale: Southeast

I have a DR and the liner works great for decreasing the condensation problem. No matter what you get, keep a lightload towel handy to wipe down the inside of the tent before you take it down. All depends on the size of the dog. My DR is plenty long for 2 6' adults plus a room at the foot/head for other stuff. Not a ton of gear storage but enough for the essentials. The porches are a great feature.

Tanner M

@tan68

Unless things have changed with the Rainbow, the liner is hooked in place and only covers the roof/top of the tent. So, looking straight down on the tent, the liner is bow tie shaped just as the head room of the tent is (wide at bottom ends and narrowing to 18" or so at center top).

What is your previous experience?

Do you rely on double wall for warmth?

The Rainbow liner will help with condensation but the tent is not very warm in winter, of course.

What about wind…?

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Thanks guys.

Sounds like the Double Rainbow is out, as i'd sooner carry an extra 300g and have a bit more space at night, than spending the night cramped in.

I will not be used in the snow, so don't need a 4 season tent.
    It might spend the odd night in freezing conditions but to be honest the vast vast majority of the time it will be pitched in warmer conditions.

So good ventilation is more important to me than keeping the warmth in.

It'd be nice to be able to batten down the hatches, as it does get very very windy here.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

How about the SMD Lunar duo?

No porch, but 5.3 square meters or space inside.
    Only bad thing i've read about it, is the condensation.

Anyone lived with one that has experience of living without a porch and the condensation please?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

On the main page of my website are a list of my favorite backpacking sites. A lot of them are UK-based backpackers. Check out what those good folks use.

http://www.popupbackpacker.com

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

SMD Lunar Duo is stellar for the weight/cost/room. Before I had to sell it, it was my favorite. Me, my dog, and girlfriend fit perfectly in it and it is easy to set up.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 would be my number one recommendation if money was not an issue. These are not cheap… but they are worth it. Wish I owned one myself – I have only seen it in action!

Nemo Obi 3 also looks like a nice tent with stats close to the BA CS UL3. Definitely worth a look.

REI Quarter Dome UL3 is a good tent if you can carry a little more weight. It is cheaper than all of the above mentioned on the used market. On eBay, these go as low as $140 shipped. I believe it is right around 2.5kg (5.5lbs)

Hope these help… there are probably more I can think of if I try hard enough.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Thanks Dan.

I don't mind spending the money for the right tent.
    My only worry with the BA tents is that the mesh inners have what looks to be a nylon section that takes up 50% of the linear height.

Light pink middle section in this pic
    http://www.rei.com/media/yy/87c1541f-5fc9-4cf5-8f0e-c8f6d207c274.jpg

Although no doubt this denser fabric would be great for 4 season of heavy rain use, i fear it will stop a lot of the ventilation, which is essential over here in Greece.

I'll take a look at the other 2, thanks.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

To reply about the SMD Lunar Duo. Yes, in heavy rain/humidity condensation can develop. It was never to the point of waking of soaked but I could see this being an issue over many days/nights of rain, or camping near a coast. The lack of porch never bothered me but I always sling up an extra small tarp for cooking under. I carry tyvek door mats to put in the vestibules for storing extra gear, it works well for that.
    My girlfriend is 5'3 and my dog is 45 lbs. I think you should be fine with +1 and a JRT sharing your space.
    Good luck in your search.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Thanks Dan.

Can i ask, why did you sell your duo please?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a Scarp 2 and love it. Two doors W/vestibules large enough for cooking and room for 2 adults and 1 child &/or a Jack Russell.

I've modified mine to make it stronger for wind and snow load (see the "Winter Hiking" page). But W/O my mods I'd recommend getting the exterior crossing poles for windy situations.

BTW, you can order the Scarp 2 with a netting inner tent or a mainly ripstop inner. Mine is mostly for winter so I ordered the ripstop inner.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools