Topic

C.C.S Ti-tri classic or side winder? what is inferno?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) C.C.S Ti-tri classic or side winder? what is inferno?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    myo tun
    BPL Member

@myomgmgtun

Locale: San Jose

Hi
    I'm thinking about to get C.C.S ti-tri for upcoming JMT hike.
    Picking between classic vs side winder is a bit tricky for me.

I do have classic experience in Aluminum version with 640 pot and Foster can which is only 1 fuel system.
    But I have never been with tri fuel version and side winder.
    which one is better side winder? classic?/

The pot is going to be 600 ml ti cup w

Suggestion? recommend? advise?

Thanks
    Tun

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

1. The titanium version is much more indestructible. It needs to be if you plan on burning wood due to the amount of heat that wood gives off. On the other hand, along the JMT, you may be burning only alcohol or Esbit. In that case, the titanium may be a bit wasted. The titanium versions only make good sense if you think that wood fuel might be used someday.
    2. The Sidewinder version is smaller and more compact so that it can fit inside the pot. On the other hand, that also means that there is less volume space for wood, if you really wanted to burn wood, and that means that you have to feed wood more often.

Personally, I use the Ti-Tri Classic for myself. I purchased the Ti-Tri Sidewinder for a friend.

–B.G.–

myo tun
    BPL Member

@myomgmgtun

You just answered all I need…….One more last question, how about the fuel efficiency and performance in windy condition compare side winder to classic ?

Thank you for explaining me
    Tun

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"how about the fuel efficiency and performance in windy condition compare side winder to classic ?"

I can't compare, because I don't have both.

You might pose that question to Rand at Trail Designs.

–B.G.–

myo tun
    BPL Member

@myomgmgtun

Good Idea..

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have both. I think it's a little better in the classic. And I would not mind schlepping the classic either. I don't use their cup-container thing, I just roll it up, rubber band it, and put it in a zip-lock bag that is slim and heavy gauge. Works great. For fuel efficiency, the classic is better. It makes better use of the 12-10 stove (or I suppose other stoves like a StarLyte burner), and it is going to be more wind resistant. I'm sure every model of Sidewinder, ULC, or Fusion is unique to the pot its designed for, but in my case there is a gap at the bottom of the upper section, not unlike the one at the bottom. Could be intentional for oxygen to the stove, but it's definitely more vulnerable to the wind. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.Alcohol Mode (pretend 12-10 is inside)

scree ride

@scree

I went with the classic, figuring the sidewinder would be somewhat of a compromise. I don't mind the extra container. I did crumple the corner slightly when I twisted the container together without rolling the cone up correctly. Careless on my part.

The inferno channels the gasses from the wood to the flame for more efficient burning.

Note though that there are few places where a wood stove can be used in California, alcohol for that matter. Especially right now. I've yet to use mine for wood resorting to a remote canister stove which works especially well with the cone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools