Topic

I think I want a duomid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I think I want a duomid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

Don't get me wrong, I love my flat square sil tarp for its versatility, but I am in search of simplisity. I don't mind a little fiddling around to get the pitch just right, but it seems I am consistently changing things after the pitch. I want to hike more and fiddle less. I've read many of the recent shelter threads, and I think I am narrowing it down to a mid for less fiddle-factor. Are people happy with their duomids? Seems like they are rare on gear swap, and when they do show up, they last about 10 minutes. Are there other two-person, trekking pole based shelters I should be looking at? Anybody in Denver area willing to loan/rent a duo for a single night hike?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

check out the Tarp Tent Ss1 also.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You might also look at the Golite Shangri-la 2. It is cheaper, longer and has more head and foot room in the ends. The new ones are seam taped and unlike Silnylon, they don't mist.

Another option would be on Oware Alphamid. The footprint is about the same but is 6' tall in the middle so even more headroom at the apex than the Duomid.

Note, I am not discounting the Duomid, just giving you a few more options.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Is this primarily for one or two person use? With a single pole, there's limited headroom for two to sit upright at the same time under the Duomid. I'm happy under mine solo or with my 6 year old son or a dog, but it's a bit tight with two adults. A two pole setup like the TT StratoSpire gives much more headroom for two plus two vestibules, but at the cost of a bigger footprint, higher weight, and a slightly more fiddly pitch. If our paths cross on Boulder Creek this weekend I'll be happy to pitch the Duomid so you can get a sense of speed and ease, plus liveable space.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Another vote for the tarptent SS1. Really enjoying this tent and is a lot less fiddly than my trailstar. Tarptent also sells it as a fly only if you aren't looking for an inner tent.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Fiddly set up (TT SS2)
    This is how I set it up ,this way, the first time :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM

This is about half an hour after I opened the box , the first set up was done Henry's way then I tried that version just to see.
    I am not much faster now after many dozens set ups but not slower either…

I suspect that some can also set up the Duomid faster/easier than others.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Single trekking pole mids (DuoMid, BD Megalight etc) are simpler than ones that use two trekking poles (ie. BD BetaLight, TT SS1, GoLite Shangra-La etc). That's not to say dual trekking pole shelters can't be set up very quick and efficiently, but single pole mids are the kings of simplicity and ease – very desirable traits.

In my opinion, solo hikers are best served by a single pole supported mid. These shelters are the simplest, lightest and quickest and the shape works well for one hiker. For two hikers, a single pole mid (and thus single peak) can problematic in terms of space (headroom), which is where the benefits of a two pole mid come into play. The TT SS2 solves the headroom problems two hikers will encounter in a single pole 'mid through the use of two pulls and some additional struts.

So for just you, I highly recommend the DuoMid. I've used a number of solo shelters and they all have positive attributes, but the DuoMid is by far my favourite because when you're out there and just want simple, solid and easy, it's going to deliver. 4 stakes in a rectangle, one pole in the middle and you're done (unless you want extra guylines).

So yes, I really like my DuoMid. I use a solo inner in the back half during bug season.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Locus Gear , probably more available than MLD too. The precision of the manufacture shows in the taughtness of the pitch.

FWIW , I doubt I will ever have another shelter thats not cuben, unless they invent something lighter, cheaper, and that also doesnt stretch when wet.

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

Thanks for all the responses so far. This will primarily be for two, but occasional solo. Was thinking I would do the inverted V-pole setup for two. I had considered the Tarptent SS2, and the video, Franco, was very helpful. I'm just not sure I want the extra weight or larger footprint. The Shangri-la looks nice and easy. Also easy on the $.

Really also like the Locus and Oware products, but $ouch$. In addition, I've never owned/slept in a cuben shelter, so maybe I just don't understand the added value or appreciate the weight savings. Just afraid I will experience buyer's remorse after that kind of cash spent. If I was going to do CF, a Hexamid Twin, Duomid, or Locus Khufu is tempting. Just not sure I can justify the extra cost. Has anyone ever regretted a CF shelter purchase? The only CF I have currently is a stuff sack…it's really nice and light.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"Has anyone ever regretted a CF shelter purchase?"

Nope. I have never regretted carrying it either.

Even when an errant rock thrown by a kid, went THRU my 0.51 hexamid. Duct tape makes a quick and easy field repair, and cuben fiber tape makes a permanent repair. Cuben, although expensive and not that abrasion resistant or durable in lighter weights, is easily repaired with tape, something that cant be said for most other materials. Also, no messy seam sealing.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I have shared a few nights in a Duomid with others, and I never found it to be that bad. It was tight, sure, but I never felt that it was unlivable, especially compared to the sloping walls of a lot of tents out there (e.g., BA Fly Creek series).

Then, I bought an SS2 for when my wife comes along, and I wouldn't take anything else for two hikers. The amount of space for two is impressive and the weight penalty minimal (fly only). I love the Duomid (even decided to upgrade to CF from sil), but it is now a solo tent except for emergencies. The SS2 is my official two person set-up. And the more I pitch it, the easier and less fiddly it has gotten. Now it goes up fast and easy.

If you want stick with 'mids for two, look at the larger ones like the Shangri-la 3, BD Megalight, or Oware 8×8' pyramid. A larger footprint is the price you have to pay for the shelter's benefits, and with a little planning or effort, is rarely a problem.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

In addition to the weight/strength/waterproofness advantages, CF is in my experience user friendly, nice to the touch and body contact (e.g. I have no problem using a spare CF footprint as a blanket or perimeter wind break inside my tarp). Visually, it is a treat, as it gets away from the machine ethos.

The only drawbacks are the transparency, with consequent loss of privacy; and the increased solar gain, so in hot regions, white cuben becomes like a glasshouse in the direct sun.

I'm now using a new Locus Khufu in black cuben, taking advantage of the recent drop in value of the yen, and the proximity (I'm in Korea). The tarp shipped right on time, and I found them most cooperative. There is almost a reflective effect to the fabric, like a sheen, which I did not expect (and which is not present on the white/grey cuben), and which is not so great for stealth purposes, but which I am hoping will improve its solar performance, i.e. reflect sunlight more, with less gain – yet to determine.

Other than that it appears refreshingly handmade, almost like a tweed jacket.

I find the Khufu design excellent. As well as the great workmanship, it fits the body very well, providing space just where it is needed, and the catenary cut ribs mean it pitches rapidly and well – it is dead easy to get a great pitch in no time, which is a real advantage when you are tired. But I note the waiting time for Locus Gear tarps has jumped to 12 weeks.

You might want to check out image _DSC2504 at

http://locusgear.com/gallery-2?lang=en&afg1_page_id=8

which will give you a good idea of the black cuben Khufu (but which doesn't show the sheen – it is difficult to photo).

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

One year ago I was also thinking about th pyramid shelter and in the end I bought an Locus Gear Khufu and I'm really satiesfied with this tent

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools