Topic

North Slope Mosquito swarms: The worst of the worst?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
James holden BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm

the next time you BPLer complain you have it bad with bugs … think on this ;)

more at link …

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130728/north-slope-mosquito-swarms-worst-worst

Think mosquitoes are bad in your neck of the woods this summer? It could be worse. Just ask researcher Jesse Krause, who just spent 78 days working at the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Toolik Field Station on the North Slope. Krause has returned with images of mosquito hordes that will make your skin crawl.

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Yikes! What do they eat when they can't get researchers and Andrew Skurka? The humming alone would likely make me go postal after a few days.

d k BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Oh. My. God. I would be swollen to three times my size in about 5 minutes if not completely swathed in protective netting. Eric, you find the most amazing articles!

But I may have some trouble falling asleep tonight after seeing that video…

Phillip Asby BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 1:42 pm

good googley moogley. That looks just awful.

Really don't like mosquitos. A plague.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Jesus tapdancing christ!

I wonder how the natives dealt with this before bug netting.

Dena Kelley BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I've never seen them that bad, but it's been a buggy year- I've had more mosquito bites this year than probably the last 10 years combined. I go nowhere in the wilderness without my headnet. It will save your sanity, for sure. And for overnighters- earplugs block out the whine.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedAug 1, 2013 at 8:01 am

While in Jellystone NP back in the month when it burned, there were a few high flying swarms that I'm glad they stayed up there. I've also wondered now and then, how do you get in and out of your shelter quickly to avoid having to kill any intruders later. It would drive my crazy also.
Duane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...