Topic

Near Seattle: Is there a drier hike with good fishing for this weekend?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Jim H BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 9:05 am

I was planning on heading up into Necklace Valley in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness this weekend (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/necklace-valley). However, the weather is looking more and more like there will be a chance of rain/thunderstorms.

I'm new to fishing, and was REALLY hoping to put in some time fishing in the backcountry this weekend. Does anyone know of a good dry-side hike that has good fishing opportunities? I'd love for it to be no more than 2-3 hours from Seattle to the trailhead, as I was hoping to get a few miles in on Friday evening after driving straight from work to the trailhead.

If there aren't better options, I'll just stick to the original plan and pack accordingly.

Thanks!

Curt Peterson BPL Member
PostedJul 31, 2013 at 6:47 am

My forecast shows anything that comes down ending by Saturday morning. I'd keep an eye on changes as it gets closer, but I wouldn't worry much about it. We've just set a record for dry and anything that falls is likely to be pretty mild and short-lived. Certainly not the days-long stuff of fall and winter.

That said, there are lakes everywhere on the East side of the state. Ironically they can get more thunder/lightning this time of year. Check fires – there are a lot burning right now.

Anything in the Leavenworth area will work and that's only a couple hours away. Up I-90 there are some great lakes on the other side of the Pass that would only be an hour or so away. Look into Rachel & Rampart area. They can get busy, but I've had fantastic fishing up there.

Jim H BPL Member
PostedJul 31, 2013 at 7:16 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into that area as a backup plan. I agree the weather isn't looking too nasty at this point, just wanted to see if anyone had a good alternative. I'd really like to check out Necklace Valley (never been) so I'll likely stick with that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...