Topic

Near Seattle: Is there a drier hike with good fishing for this weekend?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Near Seattle: Is there a drier hike with good fishing for this weekend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I was planning on heading up into Necklace Valley in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness this weekend (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/necklace-valley). However, the weather is looking more and more like there will be a chance of rain/thunderstorms.

I'm new to fishing, and was REALLY hoping to put in some time fishing in the backcountry this weekend. Does anyone know of a good dry-side hike that has good fishing opportunities? I'd love for it to be no more than 2-3 hours from Seattle to the trailhead, as I was hoping to get a few miles in on Friday evening after driving straight from work to the trailhead.

If there aren't better options, I'll just stick to the original plan and pack accordingly.

Thanks!

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My forecast shows anything that comes down ending by Saturday morning. I'd keep an eye on changes as it gets closer, but I wouldn't worry much about it. We've just set a record for dry and anything that falls is likely to be pretty mild and short-lived. Certainly not the days-long stuff of fall and winter.

That said, there are lakes everywhere on the East side of the state. Ironically they can get more thunder/lightning this time of year. Check fires – there are a lot burning right now.

Anything in the Leavenworth area will work and that's only a couple hours away. Up I-90 there are some great lakes on the other side of the Pass that would only be an hour or so away. Look into Rachel & Rampart area. They can get busy, but I've had fantastic fishing up there.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into that area as a backup plan. I agree the weather isn't looking too nasty at this point, just wanted to see if anyone had a good alternative. I'd really like to check out Necklace Valley (never been) so I'll likely stick with that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools