Topic

leg layering

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Mary R BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hey all,

So, my old REI sahara pants bit the dust on my last trip. The bottom zipper broke off completely and I got a good number of holes in them from some surprise bushwhacking.

Now I'm in the market for some new pants and I'm thinking about going in a different direction with my layering system. My plan is to just hike in some nylon shorts I picked up from goodwill. Then, if it gets cold and/or rainy, I'll slip on my long-johns and/or rain pants respectively.

I've got the shorts and some patagonia cap 2 leggings. However, I don't own rain pants. I'm looking for something somewhat lightweight, but also tough/durable. I do a good amount hiking up scree slopes and the occasional bushwhack. Does anyone have any good recommendations for some rain pants that will put up with mild abuse?

I was considering getting some marmot precips based on some reviews I've found online.

Thanks!

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedJul 30, 2013 at 9:01 am

I don't have any recommendations on rain pants, but the long johns will tear easily from abuse because they are made to be worn under pants. You should look into running tights, much more durable. Not durable enough for serious bushwacking but enough for rocks and the occasional bush or sharp branch. I like the golite running tights.

PostedJul 31, 2013 at 5:57 am

I like GoLite's Goretex Paclite rain pants. They've been very durable.

The other option is to get something cheap, like the Sierra Designs Microlight pants, and then not worry about durability.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJul 31, 2013 at 6:10 am

The next time you're at Goodwill, look for unlined running "warm up" nylon pants. They typically weigh 6oz and can be dirt cheap, making it less painful if they get shredded. Many have good DWR too; I've worn them during morning hiking on trails overgrown with brush and heavy dew which can really soak you.

Rain pants that will take some abuse are also fairly heavy. 3 layer pants are about 10-12oz at best.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...