Topic

Anybody here ever make a MYOG dreamwalker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anybody here ever make a MYOG dreamwalker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Anybody here ever make a MYOG dreamwalker ??

I am thinking with M50 and 1.8 oz primaloft.
    Removable hood.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I don't always use a sleeping bag, but when I do, it's an Exped Dreamwalker/Wallcreeper.

e

Stay sleepy, my friends!

Tanner M

@tan68

I have wondered how things like this work out…

If it cold enough that I need to wear my sleeping insulation while I am bobbing about in camp and cold enough that I can wear it without overheating and without wanting to take it off… wouldn't I be cold when I go to sleep. ?

If the insulation is adequate while tottering about camp (I don't overheat), wouldn't it be inadequate when I stop moving and my body rests and metabolism drops…? If this is the case, I would need extra clothes to keep me warm during the night. If I have extra clothes to keep me warm, wouldn't I wear them around camp?

I guess the wearing sleep insulation around camp plan works if it is really a bit too warm but it is vented to make it okay/tolerable. Then it is still warm enough overnight when it is buttoned up ?

If I was comfortable walking around wearing all that like the fellow in the picture, I would expect to be chilly when I stopped moving and went to sleep (maybe not right away, but some time during the night). Even if I tucked in my arms and lower legs…

Tanner M

@tan68

1.8 oz isn't very warm for a sleeping bag.

2-4 oz is sometimes used for 50-40 degree bags. I have found 4 oz for 40 degrees is too cool for me unless I wear other stuff as well.. I know you didn't ask, just mentioning that.

At 1.8 oz, is the garment like a wearable tunic that can also be a sleeping bag liner?

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I haven't done it but I've wanted to. I use to own a dreamwalker about ten yeas ago and regret selling it. If I were make one I would change the arm opening by losing the zipper and make them like a short sleeve shirt but with a cord lock at the openings. Like what you see at the foot of the sleeping bag but on the arms also. I don't think it would save much weight but would definitely make it easier to use than the zipper design, and you wouldn't need to add a baffle.

Something more radical would be to make sort of an elephants foot/half-bag with a drawcord foot box. You could attach the bottom half via some lightweight snaps and wind-flap, which would save weight since you wouldn't need a full length zipper. The benefit would be that you could detach the legs until ready for bed and you could leave the leg portion on for midnight trips and cold mornings. The downside would be that you couldn't use the dreamwalker like a blanket on really warm evenings.

Good Luck!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am a hot sleeper so typically 2.5 climashield is good to 45dF. The reason for primaloft 1.8 is 100% for weight and for summer.

I already have a modular quilt setup good from 45 dF to probably 15 dF and part of that is a 2.5 oz climashild quilt that weighs 15oz.

The thought was in the hot summer, instead of carrying a jacket and a quilt, just carry one of these to save some weight and space.

Then again you could just carry a SUL down jacket like a montbell UL down jacket and a 1.8 primaloft elephants foot and you would be at the same or slightly less weight than a dream walker.

Since I have a modular quilt system, and my quilt is 3 SY in area a full size silk covered 1.8 oz primaloft quilt would only weigh about 9 oz and I can use that in my system if I want.

After laying out what I would consider a decently sized dreamwalker and add sleeves I think it would weigh as much or more than a UL down jacket and a quilt and M50 hood.

So 9 oz for a silk covered 1.8 primaloft quilt and 9 oz for a UL monbell jacket, 1.5 oz or so for a hood. M50 shell in lew of silk would add about 1 oz.

Just looking at options now.

Like the short sleeve idea. Makes more sense than zippers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools