Topic

Nemo Tani 1P

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
PostedJul 28, 2013 at 7:56 am

I’ve been meaning to get a lightweight, 1-person pole-tent with a very small footprint for quite a while now. While I love my Locus Gear Khufu and GoLite Shangri-La 2 when I’m way up in the mountains away from asphalt roads and town campgrounds, I always wanted something I could use without too many stakes and on very small mountain campsites with tiny tent sites typical of the mountains in Japan. It also needed to be able to handle very strong winds and torrential rains, also typical of the mountains in Japan. I had my heart set on the Terra Nova Solar Competition 1, when I came across the new Nemo Tani 1p, designed exclusively for the Japanese market and for the needs of mountain walkers in Japan: Nemo Tani 1p It weighs 1360 g with a cross pole and double walls. It has a solid inner liner and a cross pole on top offset from the center in the manner of the BD Oneshot, side entry. And it is 216 cm long, 84 cm wide, and 104 cm high. For a one person tent it is huge inside, and exactly the right dimensions for what I want to use it for, especially bicycle touring. There is also a 2 person version. Both are sold only in Japanese stores. I haven’t used the tent yet, but compared to my 2 person MSR Hubba Hubba HP it seems more stable and better able to deal with winds (which it was specifically designed for) with its guyout lines and crosspole design. Looking forward to using it.

Nemo Tani 1P

PostedJul 29, 2013 at 6:19 pm

No idea. You'll have to ask Nemo about that. I expect they made a special deal with a Japanese distributor for exclusive rights? Also, from what I gather, it was a request from Japanese mountain clubs to build a shelter that specifically meets the needs of mountain climbing in Japan.

PostedJul 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Not that I'm in any position to doubt you, but I can't quite see the design elements that are specific to a japanese audience over something like, say, a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1.

The two look similar in size and purpose.

Also, high five! Bicycle touring!

PostedJul 29, 2013 at 8:16 pm

The copper spur has one pole at the top connected by a joint. There is nothing to stabilize the top or side poles in a very strong wind. The X-pole designs are preferred in Japan specifically because, when guyed out with guy lines directly attached to the poles (most American tents merely have the guy lines attached to the loose fly on top, not stabilizing the poles), that configuration is very strong and stable. It is an integral part of what Japanese want. Tunnel tents might be stronger in winds, but tent site space is often so small here that tunnel tents, with their big footprints are very hard to find space for. Also, the mountains in Japan are extremely damp. The mesh inners of most American tents don't work here. The Tani has a solid inner to keep out that damp and keep the space warmer. The MSR Hubba HP has a solid inner, but one of the big criticisms in Japan of the Hubba series is their weakness in strong winds. I would have bought one of the exquisitely made Japanese brand mountain tents, except that they are all too short, usually only 200 cm long. The Tani is 216 long, so just right for 178 cm tall me.

I would have preferred a fly-first tent, but nothing I've found, except TarpTents, does that. There are single-skins, but none with a protected side entry, except Nemo's Quantum Elite, which doesn't have guyline stabilized poles. The tents from Hilleberg are great, but too heavy.

For my purposes the Tani is just right for the conditions you get here.

PostedJul 29, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I live in Tokyo and know two shops that carry Nemo. I`ll go have a look this weekend. Hopefully at least one of the shops will have one setup.

PostedJul 29, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Miguel,

That picture looks like OD Box in Ueno, which is a five minute bicycle ride for me.

If I`m wrong let me know.

PostedJul 30, 2013 at 1:36 am

Donnie, yup, it's OD Box in Okachimachi. If they don't have it set up, just ask them (some of them speak English). They'd be happy to oblige. You can also see the tent set up in ICI in Kichijoji. Same price, too. LBreath in both Shinjuku and Kichijoji sells them, too. You can get the tent slightly cheaper (but not enough to be a deal breaker) on Amazon Japan and Rakuten.

PostedJul 30, 2013 at 3:17 am

Thanks Miguel. I'll go have a look this weekend. It's gotten some good reviews here so it must be good. Just not sure about the total weight. I think I"l take my gear scale with me just in case. That should freak out the salesmen:)

As a side note I just received my Katabatic Blackwelder today. It's really nice and super light:)

PostedJul 30, 2013 at 3:59 am

Bringing your scale might not surprise them as much as you might think. The UL movement in Japan started at OD Box Okachimachi. It's where Tomoyoshi Tsuchiya, now owner of the UL store Hiker's Depot, got started. Many of the staff members are ultralight enthusiasts.

PostedJul 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Didn`t know that, but have noticed over the years the number of ultra-lightweight gear increasing throughout the shop. They`re carrying some Z-Packs products now.

I have a 2010 MSR Hubba HP that weighs 1385 g complete and noticed that the Nemo Tani 1P is 1360 g complete. The MSR is a nice tent but still a bit heavy, especially when hiking up Japanese mountains. It would be nice if it could be lightened up more. Other than changing out the stakes, I don`t know what to do. Can`t separate each piece given Japan`s notoriously unpredictable weather.

PostedJul 31, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Especially this year. Weird weather, and it seems like enormous thunderstorms everyday. Quite a few people have died already, and many more injured and lost. Crazy, crazy rains! Take care up there this month.

PostedJul 31, 2013 at 10:51 pm

WOW that looks like my MSR Hubba, which comes in just under 3 lbs stock. Most reports are that the Hubba is excellent in wind; that's been my experience also–however it is not crosspole, which should be stronger yet. From Donnie's report above, sounds to be almost the same weight as the Nemo Tani. The asymmetrical cross member is unique, seems like it would give a larger vestibule.

PostedAug 1, 2013 at 5:22 am

Delmar, I have the Hubba Hubba HP, and yes it does look similar to this tent. But the single pole above cannot be guyed out when the winds pick up (at least not high enough up where it makes a difference). You just have to give the pole a slight push when it is erected to see how vulnerable it is to the wind. It's a great tent! Yes, but just not designed for alpine conditions, which this one is.

PostedAug 1, 2013 at 8:19 am

I had a Hubba years ago. It was like a wind wall and did very poorly in the wind (not to mention it was the size of a standard coffin). I would think the Hubba Hubba would be better just by virtue of it's width but as Miquel indicated, these are sheltered type tents and definitely not extreme weather tents.

The Hubba's are fine 3 season below treeline tents.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Loading...