Topic

Hole in pot is it safe to?…..

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
mik matra BPL Member
PostedJul 27, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I have a alu pot that is leaking at the seam at the bottom (think of the Sulu 46 T.E.A system). I am just about to silicon seal (from the inside) the seam to stop the leak.

My question is; I heat water only in this setup and am wondering if it will be safe to keep doing so with the silicon inside the alu cup?

Ta

James Marco BPL Member
PostedJul 28, 2013 at 4:03 am

Likely, it will be fine.
I put a hole in my aluminum pot about 20 years ago. I peened the dent to close the hole. It has not leaked, since.

I sort of doubt it will leak but on a seam you might try diluting it so it penetrates the seam a bit better. Just don't ever use the pot to bake with. Burning it may release some toxic stuff. The Silicone calk is normally used around a kitchen and is considered safe. You might want to boil it for about a half hour before taking it out, though.

James Marco BPL Member
PostedJul 28, 2013 at 5:21 am

Mineral spirits, white gas, or similar. Avoid alcohol and auto-fuel. About 50/50 should be good, I think.

PostedJul 28, 2013 at 11:32 am

Soldering would be the more acceptable way to repair a hole in aluminum, but you do have to have an aluminum-specific solder. Alternately you could take it to a welder for repair. I also carry an aluminum pot, preferring the heat transfer of aluminum over titanium, and research indicating that the alzheimer's link proposed in the 1990s never panned out (but the rumor persists, regardless of the lack of evidence–the persistence of rumors!). However, mine's a $7 "grease pot" and easy to replace at the local K-mart.

PostedJul 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

when i was a child, i put a dab of epoxy on a measuring cup for my mom. she's dead 16 years now, i;m 60, and the cup still holds water.

v.

M B BPL Member
PostedJul 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm

should be fine, just wipe a little silicone around the bottom groove with your finger.

Zelph puts the flat steel bottom on with a food grade sealant. He says his pots are guaranteed not to leak. He might replace it if you contact him.

It will likely develop rust in the joint, and have corrosion between the aluminum and steel if you dont seal it.

mik matra BPL Member
PostedJul 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm

This cup's flat bottom is alu as well so I hope the corrosion won't start.

BTW, where do you get just the flat bottom from? Is there a store that sells that?

Dan Yeruski BPL Member
PostedJul 29, 2013 at 8:29 am

If it's a Foster Ridgeline Aluminum bottom pot I will replace it at no charge.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...