Topic

Best crampon case?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best crampon case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vikram K
    BPL Member

@gothamist

Locale: Southern California

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have recommendations for a good lightweight crampon case?

I find I tend to end up needing to carry snowshoes & crampons, so I usually lash the snowshoes and iceaxe on the outside of the pack and toss the crampons inside. (If I am using the snowshoes I'll move the crampons to the outside to try and prevent down/Platypus puncturing.)

I currently use a reasonably padded Petzl case (the yellow one at REI, the Fakir I think it's called?) It's about 6 oz and seems to last about three trips before the points on the crampons poke through from somewhere. Can anyone recommend a more durable and/or lighter option?

I tried the orange Black Diamond bag at first but that only made it through about two days in the pack before the crampons poked through (although the points were sharper then.)

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW
    Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

and have settled on the grivel plastic spike covers.

Michael Wainfeld
    Spectator

@adox

Locale: EastCoast

Untitled

BD Crampon case, but not inside the pack. Snowshoes are flat against the back of the pack.

Mark Montag
    BPL Member

@sanjuans

The lightest one I could find and easily attach outside a pack is the Granite Gear…..

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Pack-Pocket-P50C5.aspx

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

In a 64 ounce Gatorade bottle that travels in one of my water bottle pockets.

Winter gear

Crampons

Vikram K
    BPL Member

@gothamist

Great info…appreciate the link to the earlier thread as well, I hadn't seen that one. I never thought about the plastic bottle option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools