Topic

Need opinions on MYOG jacket vs ??

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Troy Ammons BPL Member
PostedJul 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Looking for about a 11-12oz XL jacket.

For a background I built a M90 climashield insulated jacket last year from an online pattern from mostly left over insulation. Detachable hood, pockets etc. It was a ski jacket parka cut that I modified and shortened but it is a very big cut.

Used 2.5 oz climashield in the arms, 3.7 on the back and 5 oz (really 4.6) on the chest. Hood 3.7 oz climashield.

That particular jacket I wanted very warm, semi durable shell. Thought XL and a roomy cut would be good so I can wear heavy clothing, inner jacket/vest under. Its Warm. Weighs 15 oz without the hood. It was more of a test run, but an incredible PIA to build.

Now I find myself wanting a SUL jacket but would still like it warm to maybe 40-45dF.

I have a Montbell UL sitting here and debating about sending it back.
Personally I think it is way to thin for 40-45dF. The XL size weighs 9oz.

Also thought about a Montbell Alpine light jacket but it is 13.5 oz for the med size so in extra large probably 15 oz and as heavy as the MYOG climashield jacket I already own.

Now I am thinking about a thin warm jacket and I would be better off just biting the bullet and building a minima kit, M50 with either 2.5 Apex or 1.8 oz primaloft.

Seeing as how my current jacket is 15 oz I am thinking that with a trimmer cut, M50 and primaloft I should be able to build a thin jacket that is in the 11 oz range.

That said I am also thinking that 2.5 oz climashield would be warmer per clo because I would not have to sew through the insulation.

Any thoughts welcome.

Blake Buzzo BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

You're looking for around 40dF, my thoughts are does it have to be XL? I think you could make a slimmer fit jacket which can still fit over your base layers and you should be fine down to 40dF. Throw a shell over it and it should be no problem. Also what kind of a price range are you looking at? If you want it light I would say go with down, if you're will to pay for that, lighter and warming. It wont be a jacket you can put over all your other layers but it would make for a very warm layer especially with a shell over it.

Troy Ammons BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I am big, 6'-3" – 240 so I need an XL but would prefer a trim cut.

I do have a XL montbell UL down jacket sitting here and its 9oz and it is barely big enough to zip up the collar. The chest area is okay and not uncomfortable. The armpits are slightly tight but not bad.

I have my doubts on it going down to 40dF but I like it and I like down, I just know a M50 2 or 2.5 oz climashield jacket will be warmer over all due to more overall loft and no sewn thru seams.

My 15 ounce M90 climashield jacket is super warm.

I just really dont want to go through the aggravation of building another one. It was an incredible PIA to make the first one.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 8:48 pm

"I just really dont want to go through the aggravation of building another one. It was an incredible PIA to make the first one."

If you don't enjoy figuring it all out and making it, then probably it's better to just buy stuff that's already made?

PostedAug 5, 2013 at 5:11 am

–If you don't enjoy figuring it all out and making it, then probably it's better to just buy stuff that's already made?–

That's the conclusion I came to on making clothing. I made two of the Thru-hiker kits. They're functional but there's no way I'd wear them anywhere but on the trail. They definitely look homemade and I wish they had a couple of different features. Unfortunately I'm not crafty enough to add those features so I've settled on just buying clothing since it seems to be outside my skill set to make what I want.

No big deal. There are lots of thin synthetic jackets on the market but they might no be as light as you like. For me, the extra weight is the price I pay for convenience. Well, that and the extra cost!

Adam

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedAug 5, 2013 at 9:40 am

Troy,

That Montbell UL may surprise you. As long as I have sufficient insulation on the rest of my body mine keeps me warm to about 35deg with only a wool tee underneath. As always, YMMV. Maybe try it before you make your own? I agree making clothes sucks.

Ryan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...