Topic

Converting a Jetboil into an Esbit stove?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I'm realizing something… my Jetboil Sol has a stove adaptor. So you can take off the big pot on top, and just the little pot supporter on top of the burner part and use another pot.

So why not just take that stove adaptor, place it on the ground or a table, put your esbit tab in the hole in the middle, and use that as an esbit stove? It's only 1.47 oz can easy hold any pot.

Would that work? (Assuming you build a windscreen and cover the lid on your pot?)

The esbit tablet would only be maybe 1/4" off your surface if u put in some sort of aluminum support or something, and only 1/2" from the bottom of the pot. Would it still work?

Ian BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:25 pm

It works but it's not ideal imo. I don't have the jet boil but I do have the Olicamp XTS which is a HX pot. My results were pretty underwhelming. I'm of the belief that for esbit, you're better off saving a couple ozs and just using a regular pot or mug.

It seems HX pots work better at higher temperatures. Just my speculation I'm sure one of the resident engineers/scientists will weigh in here shortly.

PostedJul 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

The best heat transfer system I have seen with the Esbit tabs is a small caldera cone and cup. This best captures the heat from the gentle flame of the Esbit and protects from wind. I would worry about the flame wrapping around the JetBoil pot and burning the insulating cover.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...