Topic

Current conversations with JMT hikers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Current conversations with JMT hikers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Just got off the JMT.

I did see a few U/L hikers, although half of them were sectional or doing a portion of the SHR.
    It was nice being the only N. bound JMT hiker. I got to see everyone passing by each day.
    A lot of huge packs, but a lot of smiling people enjoying some amazing views as well.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Aaron, how was the trip? I'd love to be able to do a fastpack one day…..

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I think Aaron said it best:

>> A lot of huge packs, but a lot of smiling people enjoying some amazing views as well.

Unless they are harming themselves, you, or the environment/trail, maybe everyone should do as they prefer…

We plan to thru-hike the JMT next year, and while we may not have the smallest packs out there (not the biggest ones, either), we DO plan to have the biggest smiles…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I loved that line about the smiles…

My family remarked how happy I look in ALL my photos. I was tired, the trail kicked my out of shape flatlander buttocks, but I still can't wipe the smile off my face.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I was on the JMT July 7th to the 29th. My wife and I had a lot of ultralight gear but it was mostly a means to an end–she being a 105 pound 5'2" human, I had to carry the majority of our shared gear and food to make it a comfortable adventure for her. In addition, we carried quite a bit of photography equipment, tenkara, and some other comfort items like a frying pan and mugs. So I was the human on the trail with the cuben fiber ULA Circuit with 30+ pounds in it. : )

Many folks I ran in to had a few elements of UL gear but hadn't fully made the transition. I fielded a lot of questions about my pack, our trailstar, and the tenkara set up, and it seemed like younger people are interested and fundamentally heading the direction of lighter packs. They just may not have fully transitioned.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools