Topic

1.5in loft will keep me warm to 35F?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Richard May BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased my first down quilt. Well, my first down anything to be honest. It's a long Hammock Gear Burro 40 with one oz of overfill and argon cloth for both inner and outer shells. It's a beauty! It lofts to a little over 1.5in (1 7/8in after re-measuring) and weighs a mere 13oz on my cheap-o scale. So I'm petty psyched about it. :)

However, I am a tropics bird living in Costa Rica and have very little experience with cold weather or down. I could use some pointers from ya'll.

I bought the quilt to better enjoy the climb up Chirripó, our highest mountain at 12500 feet. There, the coldest temperature ever recorded was 17F but the usual lows in December and January are between 30F and 35F.

I figured a quilt with this rating would be good for 95% of my needs and on the few occasions I climb Chirripó I'd sleep with extra layers. I'm a warm sleeper and base camp is a concrete shelter with bunk beds and mattresses. No camping is allowed.

Am I being realistic about this quilt? How would you supplement it for colder nights?

Cheers,
Richard

M B BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

1.5" is about right for 40F
Wear warm clothing, puffy, fleece, long johns, etc and sleep on a warm pad and you can push it 10F lower usually.

Enclosed shelter adds warmth too.

I have used my 40f down to 28, I was cold, it was 34 when I went to bed, mostly my feet got cold. With a warmer pad and down booties I think I would have been fairly comfortable though. But regardless, I survived fine. I was glad to get up when it got light though. Not a problem for one or two nights, I wouldnt want to spend 5 nights in a row like that though.

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Well, you got mattresses so you have a warm thing to lie on. You will be in a shelter.

I agree with the 'sleep in a jacket' suggestion. You may or may not want to sleep in the jacket but I imagine you will have one with you if it will be that cold.

You will likely want to cover your head at that temperature. I usually carry a wool cap. If your jacket has an insulated hood, that should work just as well.

Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 10:09 pm

if u gotta put on those extra clothes to survive, i would just use a warm down bag. heavier, but so are all those clothes.

PostedJul 26, 2013 at 4:41 am

I use a summer bag plus puffy layers to extend my comfort level.

The advantage to this system is that you can wear your puffy clothing around camp or on breaks. It makes getting up for a pee more tolerable.

The shelter you use and the location of your camp for the night makes a huge difference as well.

Richard May BPL Member
PostedJul 26, 2013 at 4:45 am

Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to confirm… that it's 'doable'. I do have a Polartec 300 jacket, midweight bottoms and a warm beanie that I'd take with me. If needed I'll sleep in everything I have.

Since the maximum stay is two nights I think I'll survive.


@Stephen
, I considered a heavier bag but down here the only times I'd use it was climbing that mountain. I got the quilt as that will be useful everywhere but on the coast.

I re-measured the loft and consistently got 1 7/8 of an inch, so just shy of 2. :)

Thanks again!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...