Topic

SoBp JMT update

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Hey everyone,
Wanted to just put in a quick note as my son and I just finished a south bound JMT hike. We summitted Whitney on Tues morn, and are back in Idaho today, Thus.

Some quick info as I'll be putting in a more detailed trip report in the near future. The route is dry dry dry! Most water sources are low, and the intermittent ones are already dried up. Water temps in lakes, creeks, rivers etc seemed to be very mild, never cold. Algae and moss build up in lakes and creeks was visible. Filtering was necessary everywhere. The mid day heat was a big issue. We changed our hiking style to skip a few hours each afternoon, and did a lot of hiking in the last three hours of the day, and made great miles each time we incorporated this. Low hiker numbers, great wildflowers, and almost NO mosquitoes were added bonuses.
We were amazed at the number of heavy hikers, and we had lots of conversations with hikers about our little packs. We were sub 20# almost all the time, with our biggest loads after MTR of my son at 23#, and me at 28#. All good weather except for the last two days with wicked storms at night.
If you are almost reaady to leave, and want any other info, shoot me a pm and I'll try to help!

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for the update Steve. I'm doing the JMT in a few weeks with Manfred K. I got some use out of my headnet this last weekend, but I'll probably leave it and my bivy at home for the JMT. It seems much drier to me this year than last even though the snowpack numbers were roughly the same – I guess two consecutive dry years really makes a difference. Did you guys get any thunderstorms?

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:39 pm

"I got some use out of my headnet this last weekend, but I'll probably leave it … at home for the JMT"

A headnet weighs almost nothing and packs small.

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 9:10 pm

we had two thunderstorms, both intense, one almost life threatening. Both storms happened at night!? and were out of character… I was caught off guard as the sky was bluebird just two hours before nightfall, and we went over Forrester in two hours just in time to be caught at the top with fast moving clouds, sheet lightening, and by the time we reached the bottom of the south side, we had no time to pitch the tent, before gale force winds, hail, sleet, and a 10-15 degree temp drop. We literally were rescued by some campers in their tents at the bottom switch back. I shoved my son in one tent, and I went into the other and we were hammered for about an hour and a half! Really bizarre build up. Prob one of one or two of the most intense storms I have been in in over 35 years! Afterwards, clear skies and full moon! Wild! The next night, the same thing on a lesser scale. We pitched my Lunar Duo at Guitar Lake, and we made sure we were sheltered on a leeward side, and we totally anchored the lines with very large rocks! Even with that, at about 8:30 after again, clear skies, the rain started, and it didn't stop until almost 3 in the morning, with strong gusting winds. I was exhausted worrying about the tent being blown over. When morning hit, we were still dry, and the tent still standing. I was prob worried more than I should, but I had my son with me. Strange storm pattern. This storm was also the one that washed out the road to Whitney Portal, and did immense damage to the trails out of there. Crazy weather! Besides that, nothing but hot dry weather!
forrester
Are we having fun yet?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...