Topic

Desolation Wilderness, CA is alive and well

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Where are the people many say are in Desolation? Most I saw were between the TH (Eagle Falls) and Eagle Lake, by Emerald Bay. I did have to park a 1/4 mile away from the TH, mostly due to me getting a midday start. After that, I saw few people in my week long bp trip, which I had not done such a length there in over maybe 20 years since that one 'Backpacker' magazine article years ago, showing the elevation graph of the Sierra High Route. I started seeing folks again when looping around by Aloha, Susie, Upper Velma lakes, after visiting, Campers Flat, Buck Island, xc to Highland, up to Forni Peak, over to Lake #3, up to the ridge and down to Schmidell, then down the beautiful Rockbound Valley and over Mosquito Pass to Susie and Upper Velma. Also, that's when I started seeing some tp and illegal campsites/fire pits and even one campfire Wednesday AM at Susie Lake. Campfires have been banned in Desolation for something like 25 years now, I forget. I think the more remote areas are under utilized. Due to the campfire restrictions, I had to take a vintage MSR stove from my collection as the official word was no alky stoves. It was fun using the old stove, I checked boil times for water and I was very surprised how fast my old MSR MF stove was. I could have brought a isobutane stove, but chose the MSR for nostalgia.
Duane

Brian Mix BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I live 25 minutes from the closest-to-me Desolation Wilderness trailhead so it would be silly of me to not go there. I do the Lyons, Sylvia and Bloodsucker lake areas early and late season and regularly see hikers. Once you get away from the trailheads and/or go off trail the people disappear. Once the snow flies I feel like I own the whole area.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedJul 26, 2013 at 5:52 am

Brian, I work down in Carson City, go home to the Plumas NF on Friday. To save gas, I can just walk out my front door and hike as far as I want and set up. Best for snow camping as I'll also drive a short distance to bp in the non-snow times. Down by the big Bassi Creek, I met David from Georgetown, just retired I believe, he uses the west side quite a bit to access the Wilderness. Getting to Forni Lake is a good climb. I was pretty tired that day after hiking out of Highland Lake, finally locating the old trail from the north up to Tells Peak and then hiking those miles to Lake #3. Found my way around Lawrence Lake and by Top Lake to make the stock trail and down to Schmidell. The trail there does not get used much I see.
Duane

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...