Topic

Heiny ready for action

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heiny ready for action

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve Galchutt

@s2ranchgmail-com

Locale: Eastern slope of CO Rockies

Been collecting ideas for a complete stove&pot kit based on all the ideas I've read on various lists on the net. The result: here's my new Heinie!

Heineken beer pot w/cat food stand and teacandle burner

It's based on the Heineken beer pot designs using a 'Safe-Cut' can opener to keep the top intact for a lid. (yes I drank the contents! yuk) I wrappped the mid section w/fiberglass wick cord per Tiny's video so you can pick it up and pour with it once it's stopped boiling. The orange lip guard band is a silicon wrist band from WM (BandX $.20)…keeps lips from getting burnt! Aluminum cat tin pot stand (nope didn't even taste it …I gave the contents to the raccoons!) was punched using a paper punch. Tea candle tin holds 3/4oz alcohol and will almost boil 12oz water on a full fill. My windscreen is tin foil which is stored by wrapping around the whole kit with rubberband. Makes a neat package.
    weight: <4oz stove/stand/burner w/o fuel
    weight: <12oz w/3-days fuel, spoon, lighter/matches and wetones wipes
    Heineken beer pot w/lid ...cat food stand and tea candle burner

Impoverments might be paper clip elevation stand to raise pot up to get optimum burn-distance from flame. I'll take some pix tonight when I can see the flame and how it hits the bottom of the pot or not?

Cheers, Steve

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Steve,
    NICE!!! looks like a great setup! One question, though. Is the pot stand high enough to allow the flame to hit the bottom of the can and not run up the sides? Also, I'm wondering if there's a way to make the stand and windscreen integrated so you only need one. Or, have you considered a hardware cloth stand?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Steve, do you have any boil time numbers for the setup? Looks nice.

Steve Galchutt

@s2ranchgmail-com

Well as suspected the Heiny pot sits to close to the flame (3/4") and flames go up the side. So I've dumped the cat food tin for now and gone back to my original 3-1/2" ridged aluminum with TI tents stakes wind screen/pot stand (which rolls up around my fuel bottle and fits inside the Heiny pot). I'll run some boil time tests on this Heiny this PM.

BeanDip pot w/lidRolling boil with half oz of fuel'Diamond almond' stove w/windscreen, pot stand and 'tea candle' fuel holder
    Meanwhile, here's my solo UL bean-dip 3oz(w/fuel!) and Diamond almond 4oz w/fuel stoves. These guys are pretty efficient boiling 7oz of water on 15ml/half oz of alcohol(denatured) …sorry didn't time it? My thoughts on boil times is when I'm in the woods there is no time and I've got plenty of it. That's the attraction of getting out there for me is to "stop" time! So I'm not too concerned how long it takes to boil a cup of joe? I'm more concerned about the stoves weight and fuel efficienty. I keep one of these in my day pack and glove box in the car. Handy to boil up a cup of tea or soup when the needed.Loaded w/1oz of fuel ready for action
    Enough on the alcohol and back to the wood burners! Cheers,Steve

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Steve, you could also try this with your beer can.
    http://zenstoves.net/SimplifiedZenStove.htm

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hey Steve,
    What kind of can is that ridged one? And when you say it's 3 1/2 in. is that the height or the width?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Also Steve,
    That first pot, the "ridged one" looks like a good size but it also looks like it has a plastic lining. Does it burn/melt into the water when heated? I bought some similar cans and am a little concerned about heating up the white lining.

Steve Galchutt

@s2ranchgmail-com

Jason, very observent dude!

Yes the lining on bean dip is plastic. I've not had it melt or add funny tastes to the boiled water yet? …and the Diamond almond pot has some coating as well but not sure if it's plastic or a coating of some kind to protect the foot from the metal interaction. Again I've not had it melt or add funny tastes to the boiled water yet? I think the water acts as a heat sink. If you fired up the burner with no water in the pot I'm sure the plastic coating would melt!! Oh gee. I guess I'd have buy another can of almonds and eat them? =D

BTW Sorry about the miss information the diameter the actual size on both pots is almost 3-3/8"

Cheers, Steve

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Jason,
    As long as you keep water in the pot and the flames don't reach above the water level on the sides of the pot, the lining will never go above 212 fahrenheit/100 centigrade (even lower above sea level). I've done alot of heating soups with the Foster's Beer can and lined food cans and never had a problem with burned linings.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Thanks Al and Steve,
    Actually, I went out and got the Diamond Walnut Smokehouse can–it's in my kitchen as as write this and I'm timing the boil for one cup of cold water with a tea-light stove.

Then, I'm on my way to buy some of those other cans now that I know the lining won't melt. I found some Mexican pepper cans that seem like they would work well.

More later…

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hey Steve,
    OK, I made mine (the ridged one). On yours, does the lid still fit well after you cut it with a side-cut can opener? Mine seems a little loose. Right now, I think I like the slightly larger capacity of the Almond can better. I think even for solo, I'd like to be able to comfortably boil one cup.

BTW, with the bean-dip pot and a tea-light stove, I got 1 cup to boil in 5:40 in my kitchen.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm sure you know the almond can is not aluminum…not that it matters much. The bean dip can is aluminum and sturdy as heck.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools