Topic

Recommend a Light-fast drying-no zip off-pant for hot summer hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend a Light-fast drying-no zip off-pant for hot summer hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I'm trying to not use mosquito repellent due to some health issues, so I'm looking for a light weight hiking pant for this summer. I have been using my Turkey hunting pants/mosguito outfit! But, the funny looks I get on the trail aren't as amusing anymore! They actually work pretty good with shorts underneath them.

Trying to avoid the bug shield type pants that have the chemicals in the material.

Light weight, non cotton, fast drying pants. Cheaper the better!

I found these, not sure if they are worthy? Columbia Sportswear Cool Creek Stretch Cargo Pants – UPF 50. Any users…

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-cool-creek-stretch-cargo-pants-upf-50-for-men~p~5250c/

At Cabelas their Guide pants…

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1547277&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=3147636bfb50837d3b944e13881082c0&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat105548580%3Bcat104262480%3Bcat104076180&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

White Sierra Rocky Ridge…

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-rocky-ridge-pants-upf-30-for-men~p~5705f/?filterString=mens-hiking-and-travel-pants~d~2317%2F&colorFamily=01

Any opinions from users would likely help my web purchase out…Thanks!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Two possibilities from Railriders –

Railriders Eco Mesh pants – quick drying, zip open mesh stripe, good for hot or cool hiking. Two drawbacks: Not cheap, and is impregnated with permethrin. These are my standard for Sierra hikes.

http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html?cPath=104_110

Railriders Ultralite VersaTac pants – Quick drying, no insect shield. Drawback: Not cheap.

http://www.railriders.com/men-versatac-ultra-light-pants-p-994.html?cPath=104_110

You could also check places like Walmart, Costco, Kohls, etc, to look for really cheap nylon pants. Basically, any pants that are 100% nylon should dry pretty quickly. Not all will be comfortable in hot weather.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

yep, I tried the "Walmart, Costco, Kohls, etc," thing & didn't have any luck.

The suggestions you gave are great, wish the 10oz pair wasn't with bug shield, as I'd likely buck up for them.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The best pants I have ever used are the Patagonia Rock Craft pants (successors to the Rock Guides). They are lightweight, fast-drying, and block mosquitoes. They're also somewhat slim-fitting, and they have a little bit of stretch to make them really easy hiking. My pair have a few hundred miles on them with little to no wear whatsoever. I've worn them from 10F to 100F without any issues (that's literal–no exaggeration).

The only downside is that they are expensive. But they can often be found for a good deal. The price hurt when I bought them, but they're so versatile and durable that I've actually saved money by not wearing out a cheaper pair. Campsaver has a 20% off coupon going right now, so it could be a good place to start.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Montane Terra pants work well with me.about 12 oz
    They have zipped thigh vents with mesh under it.
    When you open those up they pump air inside still keeping bugs out.
    Very fast to dry.

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

I really dislike putting chemicals on my skin, I have enough issues as it is. I have noticed that mosquitos land on my Houdini jacket, walk around never attempting to bite me and eventually leave. I priced some comparable pants and while spendy, I couldn't seem to find any that might fit me without going to a gigantic-beer-belly sized waist to go with my 36+" inseam. I am currently working on a pair of pants made from 1.7oz/yd polyester in hopes I'll have the same results with the mosquitos. Total weight should be around 6 ounces. If you have more common measurements, you might try the Houdini pants or similar.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I am currently working on a pair of pants made from 1.7oz/yd polyester in hopes I'll have the same results with the mosquitos."

Why not just extend a pair of lightweight hiking pants?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The Montane Terra pants work well with me.about 12 oz
    They have zipped thigh vents with mesh under it.
    When you open those up they pump air inside still keeping bugs out.
    Very fast to dry."

+ 1 A great backpacking pant, especially in hot weather, and very durable in the bargain. I'm still on my first pair after 5 years.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Arcteryx Rampart Pants 8.5oz. They are an athletic fit as most Arcteryx stuff is but move well. 100% nylon and so dry very quickly. I love the no zip pockets but with a well designed hood over the pocket to keep contents secure. I have purchased both of my pair when they went on sale at the end of season.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Like Brian, I've used windshirts/windpants for bug protection. The biggest advantage is weight. The Montbell gear I have is fairly breathable. But unfortunately, wind clothes vary year to year. So, while a 2012 Montbell windshirt and windpant might be quite breathable, a 2013 might not be. I don't know who makes a very breathable windshirt right now. If I'm not mistaken, the Houdini changed this year, and is no longer as breathable as it once was.

If you don't care much about the weight, then the Original Bug Shirt has both shirt and pants. The pants aren't that special, but breath really well and keep the bugs out. My guess is that most hiking pants are pretty similar to the Original Bug Shirt's pants.

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

These are lightweight with mesh vents on the inseam, under 10 ounces for size 34 similar to vented rail riders bit arguably a bit better looking , i got the ones in walnut color. http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-ventr-pant

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

+1 on the Arcteryx Rampart pants, lightest and most comfortable I have owned.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Well, I went to a couple stores today & tried on all of the suggestions & more. The Patagonia Rock Craft Pant were the best on.

Hard picking. I liked some of the others, but they seemed a bit to thick, which made me wonder about the hot weather while hiking in them.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I really enjoy these pants and that's from someone who also has a pair of Rail Riders Extreme Adventure.

The best part for me is they are 12% spandex so when I life my knee high to step on a rock there is no pulling on the knee. That feature was very difficult to find in a pant.

They are lightweight and definitely more airy than the rail Riders. The Kuhls also have quite a few pockets.

Fit is the important but worth a look if a store near you carries them.

http://www.kuhl.com/products/5020/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools