Topic

Recommend a Good Scale

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 8:13 am

My trusty, old, no-name scale bit the dust. The kink spring that holds the scale plate up has been sagging, and now I can't get it to register anything below a kg-and-a-half. So, I'm looking at the new fancy digital scales that one can find on Amazon and other places and thinking to myself "Sheesh! Option paralysis."

Any recommendations you guys might be willing to make will help me narrow my choices. I prefer to use metric.

Kate Magill BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 9:43 am

The Escali Primo is the only scale I have any experience with for weighing my gear. Great little all-purpose kitchen scale. Does grams and ounces. Maxes out at about 10 lbs I think, so not the most heavy duty. Only cost about $30 and I don't think I've ever had to change the batteries in it. Plus, cute colors!

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 9:53 am

I think it's Saga (at least that's what it says when it lights up in orange while turning one. anyway, it was around $11 on ebay (shipped from China). Search ebay for kitchen scales, I think you'll find a number of affordable options.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

I got one of those cheap scales from Ebay shipped from China. $10 or something. Works fine.

I got another one previously and it broke, but maybe I abused it.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

If you want to weigh down for each baffle, 0.01 ounce/0.1 gram resolution is good.

Otherwise, 0.1 ounce/1 gram is fine

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

Has a little pullout display in case the thing you're weighing is bulky. 5 lb max though, kinda wish I had seen the eatsmart.

Rex Sanders BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Always good to know if your particular scale is reasonably accurate. No need for calibrated weights.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications

1 US 5 cent coin (“nickel”) is 5 grams. Pretty easy to remember.

1 US 1 cent coin (“penny”) is 2.5 grams.

Weights of other US coins are more fractional, but if yor scale is good to 0.1 grams, might be useful. I don’t know how much coins might lose or gain from wear and tear and grime.

Pile up more coins to check higher weights. Add coins to existing loads to check sensitivity at much higher weights.

You can probably find coin weights for other countries if you need to.

— Rex

Ben H. BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 1:58 pm

"1 US 1 cent coin ("penny") is 2.5 grams."

Just be careful. Prior to 1982 pennies had a much higher copper content and are heavier. Just make sure you only use post 1982 pennies. Pennies from 1982 can be either copper or copper plated.

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Grab a cheap "digital pocket scale" from eBay for $6 or so. Paying more is silly. These things weigh to 0.1g precision and up to 2000g.

Do an eBay search for "digital pocket scale 2000g" and sort by price. Heck here's a link for the lazy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Digital-Weigh-SCALE-Balance-Jewelry-Pocket-Black-Silver-2000g-x-0-1g-HD23L-/121101499625?pt=US_Pocket_Digital_Scales&hash=item1c32363ce9

To weigh bigger stuff, get creative. I set a mug on it, zero it and then balance the bulky item on the cup. Really large stuff can be done by holding the scale in your hand and using a clothing hanger.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...