Topic

Real experience w/ Patagonia Sun Hoody – Heat, chafing?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedJul 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm

In my quest for a great sun shirt, I'm eyeing the Patagonia Lightweight Sun Hoody. Three questions for folks who have used one:

a) do the seams along the sides of the body chafe under a hipbelt?

b) is it really viable in full heat? Or is it more of a 70s alpine sun kind of thing?

c) finally, I assume mosquitos go right through it?

Thanks folks!

PostedJul 25, 2013 at 9:09 am

I wore a Sun Hoody on a 5 day hike in the Sierras above 10,000 feet back a couple years ago. I am not a real picky gear user, so I didnt really pay close attention, but I can tell you what things I did notice. During hot portions of the hike it felt like it helped. baggy cut and good permeability seemed to make it ventilate well. As for chafing, I dont recall feeling any chafing at all. We did not have any mosquitos on that trip but I could not imagine that shirt helping with mosquitos except that it's bagginess would at least make it better than nothing. I think expecting your shirt to do well in full sun and mosquitos is too much anyway, take a windshirt or rain jacket for bugs. good luck!

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

I have the same experience. It dries quick, is not hot (I was more like in 80's Sierras, though), and is very soft compared to other synthetics I've used. I'll have to say, I've not experienced chaffing under a hip belt in any garment, but maybe I don't have enough cinch on my belt. I like the thumb loops and the fact that the hood buttons up under the chin, it's excellent insect protection for a guy who hates ointments. I say go for it. They make a similar product with a kangaroo pouch that's a fair bit heavier. Equally nice, but be sure we're talking about the one with the chest pocket. It's the only one I'd wear out in the heat.

EDIT: to add YES mosquitoes go right through it, but it's loose enough that they won't get you except where it's tight over skin.

Nico . BPL Member
PostedJul 25, 2013 at 10:14 am

I've no personal experience with it, but my brother loves his. He lives up in the Sierra and pretty much wears it all summer long for all of his outings (climbing, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, etc.). He's echoed many of the comments the above posters have mentioned.

He reminds me each time I see him how much he likes it and that I need to pick one up to try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...