Topic

Now onto the tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Now onto the tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

Locale: Land of Arches

Anyone have any opions on if it is better to build a tent that requires poles or one that operates on guylines alone. All my backpacking is done in the woods (Red River Gorge, Smokeys, ect.) Any opions would be greatly appreciated, got the pack made so its onto the shelter………

also, whats everyone's thoughts of the safest diy stove?

Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

a gently nudge to bump it along….

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

a tent that relies on guylines alone would be my idea of a nightmare. the weight savings is attractive, but IMHO there is a certain level of hassle that justifies carrying a certain amount of weight. that's just me, though. at the end of a long day hiking i have no desire at all to spend time figuring out where i could tie off my lines to create a workable shelter. sometimes it takes long enough just to find an acceptably flat and empty spot! plus i'm lazy, which is why i've moved away from tarps and on to tipi-style tents.

sorry, no opinion on the stove. i love to sew gear (or do i hate to love sewing gear?), but stove-making holds zero interest for me.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I'd probably opt for using treking poles for the support. If you use them, there's no extra weight involved. Easiest setup would be to have a grommet at each support point to insert the tip of the pole in.

Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

thanks for the comments…..I was kinda also thinking that the savings of a few ounces wouldnt outweigh the hassle of putting up the tent with ropes alone. I too am addicted to making gear…..I have more stuff sacks than I could ever use (gotta do something with leftover fabric :) ) The stove thing kinda intreges me, but I made my first pepsi can stove last night and the fire only comes out of the middle….not the jet holes on the top that I painstakingly took the time to drill all so perfectly inline. any ideas on this from the stove guru's that I know are out there…..I used these plans

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistoveinstruct.shtml

one more questions….how big would you all make a tent for two people? what style do you like best? I know I might sound annoying, but I love to throughly research anything before I do it….thats half the fun for me :)

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Kevin,
    See this tent for both size and the possibility of no poles.

http://www.ryanjordan.com/2006_arctic/2006/06/ultralight_shel.html

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Instructions and plans for a "no pole tent" is in the book
    "How to make your own lightweight camping & Hiking Gear" by Vick Hines

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Here is one made for patagonia big walls. Uses trees or cliff.wall shelter

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Yes, you don't need poles with the big-wall tent, but you might want to consider using a porta-ledge. *wink wink*

Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

appreciate all the help……my first thing is size…..I have looked at hundreds of backpacking tents online…..42" seems to be an average front height, width anywhere from 48" – 60" for a two man, length seems to be around 90" – 96"………any pluses or minuses you all can think of for this size tent? I was thinking maybe a tunnel type but with a flat roof (not really a tunnel at all)……..I got a 2 man dome style tent, but am tired of packing that extra 6 pounds….I know i can shave that weight in half or so……if only we all had $300 bucks to spend on a tent……

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For the stove, it's hard to go wrong with the Supercat. Easy to make and it works.
    Info at : http://jwbasecamp.com/
    I also think that to relay on guylines alone is a bit of a PITA . Have a look at the free on line plans for the original Tarptent, Tarptent.com (Projects)
    Franco

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools