Interesting article in today's NYT:
NYTimes: After a Sprain, Don’t Just Walk It Off
Ankle injuries should never be taken lightly and are too often mistreated or not treated at all.
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
Interesting article in today's NYT:
NYTimes: After a Sprain, Don’t Just Walk It Off
Ankle injuries should never be taken lightly and are too often mistreated or not treated at all.
Based on my experience with three ankle sprains, and more sprained thumbs and fingers than I can recall:
– Start RICE immediately. Every minute you delay, you will take many, many times that to heal. Stop, sit down, elevate your ankle, probe for obvious deformities, then wrap it in an ACE bandage or the best you can fake, and cool it down, even with water and a bandana and fanning. Wait for a while before you try to hike out, then take it slow and easy with frequent breaks for more RICE. Swelling causes a lot of soft tissue damage; you want to get that under control fast, and keep it down. I know what the article says about clinical trials – and I know what happens to me if I delay RICE.
– If your family doctor recommends rest and a pair of crutches, insist on a referral to physical therapy, preferably a sports injury clinic. Then get the next available appointment, and hobble over there as fast as you can. Some of the exercises won't be fun, but they will help you heal faster and better. You don't want a floppy ankle when your healing is done.
– If something doesn't feel right, or hurts too much, say something to your doctor or therapist. Don't tough it out.
– I almost always ask for prescription painkillers to ensure I can sleep through the first few nights. I almost always wake up wishing I'd taken some before I went to bed. I also remember how hard it is to sleep with my ankle elevated – and how essential to prevent swelling and pain.
– HIgh boots do not prevent ankle sprains.
Backpacking and hiking are not that dangerous – all but one of my sprains came from playing volleyball. But you do need to watch where you are going on rougher terrain.
I Am Not A Doctor. What works for me might be bad for you. Hobble Your Own Hike.
— Rex
Become a member to post in the forums.